|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
View over Meschede
|• Mayor||Uli Hess (CDU)|
|• Total||218.5 km2 (84.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (360/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Postal codes||D 59872|
Meschede is situated in the Ruhr valley, near to the Hennesee, south of the nature-park Arnsberger Wald. Major towns in the vicinity of Meschede are Paderborn (51 km), Kassel (85 km), Siegen (57 km), Hagen, Dortmund (60 km) and Hamm (49 km).
Division of the town
After the local government reforms of 1975 Meschede consists of these districts and villages:
In 1921 the Sauerländer Heimatbund was founded.
The city's climate is continental. The lowest temperature recorded was −20 °C (−4 °F), its highest was recorded at 39 °C (102 °F).
Mayors of Meschede
- 1952–1961: Engelbert Dick (CDU)
- 1961–1969: Josef Busch (CDU)
- 1969–1974: Bruno Peus (CDU)
- 1975–1998: Franz Stahlmecke (CDU)
- 1998–1999: Bruno Peus (CDU)
- 1999–present: Hans-Ulrich (Uli) Hess (CDU)
Meschede has its local radio station Radio Sauerland. The Fachhochschule Südwestfalen runs its own radio station called radioFH!. The regional newspapers are Westfalenpost and Westfälische Rundschau. The local newspaper is the Sauerlandkurier.
- Karl Lehr (1842–1919), mayor of Duisburg
- August Macke (1887–1914), painter
- Ansgar Nierhoff (b. 1941), artist
- Werner Pieper (b. 1948), author
- Klaus-Jürgen Wrede (b. 1963), author of the Carcassonne games
- Matthias Ungemach (b. 1968), Olympic rower
- Armin Petras (b. 1964), theatre director
- Daniela Bette (b. 1981), actress
- Joseph Hippolyt Pulte (6 October 1811 – died in Cincinnati, Ohio, 24 February 1884) was a homeopathic physician.
- Dieter Wurm, chairman of Sauerländer Heimatbund 
- Abbey Königsmünster, built by Order of Saint Benedict
- Hennesee - The Hennesee is a lake near Meschede and the main recreational area of the town. It was built to secure the water supply of the close Ruhrgebiet and is today mainly use to generate hydropower, flood protection and baseflow. Recreational areas are the tanning lawn and bath area, fishing, rowing, sailing, walking and hiking.
Meschede is twinned with:
- Wińsko, Poland, since 1956
- Le Puy-en-Velay, France, since 1975
- Cousolre, France, since 1965 (twin town of Freienohl)
Also unofficial friendly relations exist with the following towns:
- Official site (German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Meschede.|
|This Hochsauerlandkreis location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|