|Birth name||Marvin Watson Jr.|
|Also known as||The Boy Boy Young Mess, MessCalen|
|Born||March 19, 1976|
|Genres||Hip hop West Coast hip hop|
|Labels||Scalen LLC / Koch Entertainment / SMC Recordings / Click Clack Records|
|Associated acts||Rich The Factor, Mac Dre, JT The Bigga Figga, San Quinn, Mitchy Slick, Berner, Trae, The Jacka, DJ Quik, The Game, Suge Knight, Yukmouth|
Marvin Watson Jr. (born March 19, 1976), better known by his stage name Messy Marv, is an American rapper who began his career in the Fillmore District of San Francisco, California. He is the cousin of San Quinn, Stevie Johnson, and Ya Boy.
On November 2, 2007, Messy Marv was released from jail after serving twelve months on weapons charges. Before, during and following his jail sentence, he had several previous albums charting, including Cake & Ice Cream 2, released in 2009 and peaked on the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart at #39 and on the Rap Albums chart at #12, and Blow: Blocks and Boat Docks, a collaboration album with Berner released in 2010 which peaked at #48 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. In the spring of 2012, Messy Marv released the hit mixtape, Da Frank Lucas Dat Neva Wore Da Mink Coat and released the hit single, "You Gotta Pay Me". In 2013, he announced the release of his newest LP "Playboy Gangsta" under his new moniker LilPaperdupMess, and released 3 singles as promotionals for the album: "We Killas", "Beautiful Kalifornia", & "A Girlfriend Ain't What I Need". Marv confirmed via Twitter a release date of July 23, 2013 for the LP. Early in 2014 with a guest feature on single "World Wide Mob" alongside Montana Montana Montana, Joe Blow, Ap.9, and Fed X
In 2005, he was in a feud with G-Unit, which escalated when Obie Trice, a member of Shady Records, went to the radio station KMEL and said, "in San Francisco I have to cover my ass." A diss track was released by Guce and Messy Marv, "50 Explanations", on the album Pill Music: The Rico Act, Vol. 1. 50 Cent and Sha Money XL then exchanged words over the phone with Guce's camp. He afterwards said, "it's over with, and it never kicked off".
Messy Marv started a feud with his cousin San Quinn on September 22, 2008, by calling the latter a "snitch". On December 11, Quinn told HipHopDX that he "loves" Messy Marv despite the diss tracks that they have both sent to each other. In a 2010 interview with WordofSouth, he stated the reason for the beef was because he was "talking too much", but that they are attempting to squash the feud.
In 2009, Messy Marv mocked rapper Mistah F.A.B.'s chain getting stolen repeatedly. This led to diss tracks being sent between the rappers, including F.A.B. sending one entitled "Okay" where he impersonates Watson Jr.
On September 25, 2013, Philthy Rich released a track entitled "Swear to God" featuring Kurt Diggler. It dissed Marv and Bay Area rappers Kafani & DB Tha General. The track is to appear on his upcoming album N.E.R.N.L. 3. In response, Marv plans on releasing a diss record entitled Philthy Rich Is a Bitch on October 22 under his alias LilPaperdupMess. On October 15, Philthy Rich released a diss track at Marv in his freestyle to Drake's "Pound Cake / Paris Morton Music 2". The next day, Marv released a diss track at Philthy entitled "I'm Right Here". The same day, October 16, Philthy released a diss record entitled Messy Marv aka the Girl Girl Is a Fake Blood.
- "California Birth Index, 1905–1995". Family Tree Legends Records Collection (Online Database).
- Birchmeier, Jason. "Messy Marv > Biography". allmusic. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "iTunes - Music - Messy Marv". Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "For S.F. rappers, another dream deferred", San Francisco Chronicle, May 15, 2007
- "Guce Music and DJ mix sets - beatMP3". Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- HipHopDX (12 December 2008). "San Quinn: Fillmore's Finest". HipHopDX. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- HipHopDX (20 April 2007). "Spider Loc f. Papa Smurf". HipHopDX. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Mistah F.A.B. (As Messy Marv) Ft. Too Short & JT The Bigga Figga – Okay (Messy Marv Diss)". The Sermon's Domain. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- Video on YouTube
- "Exclusive: Lil Paperd Up Mess – Philthy Rich Is A Bitch (Mixtape Cover)". Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Philthy Rich – "Pound Cake" (Messy Marv diss)". Hip Hop Vibe. Retrieved 20 March 2015.