This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Manufacturer||Meta Watch Ltd.|
|Release date||Strata model November 2012|
|Introductory price||$159.00 for Strata,|
$199.00 for Frame
|Operating system||FreeRTOS V6.0.5|
|CPU||TI MSP430 16-Bit Ultra-Low-Power Microcontroller|
|Memory||8 kB or 16 kB serial RAM|
|Storage||256 KB Flash |
|Display||Digital watch: 1.35 in (34 mm) 96x96 pixel reflective mirror LCD display|
Analog watch: two 16x80 OLED displays
covered with scratch-resistant, mineral hardened glass
3-axis MEMS accelerometer
Ambient light sensor
|Power||3.7V 75mAH or 120mAh Li-ion coin cell|
|Dimensions||Strata 1.74 by 1.74 by 0.5 inches (44 mm × 44 mm × 13 mm)  Frame 2 by 1.5 by 0.5 inches (51 mm × 38 mm × 13 mm)|
|Mass||Strata: 59 grams (2.1 oz) Frame: 81 grams (2.9 oz)|
The MetaWatch is a brand name of smartwatches developed by Meta Watch, Ltd. Strata MetaWatch and Frame MetaWatch are digital smartwatches released in 2012, funded by raising money via the crowd funding platform Kickstarter. MetaWatch is a company founded by former Fossil engineers.
The first generation of MetaWatch watches was released as a development system in September 2011. Two models were sold - analog with OLED displays (model WDS111, style AU1000) and fully digital (model WDS112, style AU2000). Both were provided with a clip for charging, flashing, and debugging. For wireless connection, Bluetooth 2.1 is used via a TI CC2560 module. As a serial RAM Microchip 23A640 serial is used.
The second generation of MetaWatch had Bluetooth 4.0, a KXTI9 accelerometer instead of KXTF9 (using less active power), and larger battery. The 4 pins on the back of the case were multiplexed and could be either used with Spy-Bi-Wire (serialized version of JTAG) or serial out/ground. External serial RAM was larger. The clip provided with watches was for charging and reflash only. A JTAG clip for development could be bought separately.
The company has now "ceased business operations" according to their automatic email response. Also, their website has been taken over by a new party.
Second generation watches were sold under names Strata (model code SW12-1) and Frame (model code SW12-2). Strata has Water Resistant Mark 5 and Frame has Water Resistant Mark 3. The Strata, which was focused more on value, was bulkier but more durable with its double injection-moulded polyurethane body. It was also cheaper as the Kare model retailed for $140. The Frame, on the other hand, was the variant targeted towards the fashion segment. The device featured a slimmer stainless steel build, smaller display, leather bands and a price tag of $199. The Strata model was initially offered as an iOS-only device due to challenges in developing a version for the Android platform. An Android-compatible version was later released.
In 2014, Metawatch announced Meta M1, a premium smartwatch developed in collaboration with Frank Nuovo. The designer was known for his iconic works at Vertu and Nokia, where he served as a Vice President and Chief of Design. The device was launched at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show.
- Seng, Jacqueline. "MetaWatch Strata smartwatch looks (sort of) familiar". MetaWatch Strata smartwatch looks (sort of) familiar. Jacqueline Seng. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Kim, Eugene. "MetaWatch Strata". MetaWatch Strata. Eugene Kim. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- MetaWatch Firmware Design Guide (PDF). 2011.
- "23A640". microchip.com.
- MODX Systems, LLC. "Metawatch - we can flash our FRAME with STRATA fw...!!!". metawatch.org.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-05-28. Retrieved 2013-05-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "2nd Update on the MetaWatch shipment". campaign-archive2.com.
- MODX Systems, LLC. "Metawatch - Dimension version Strata". metawatch.org.
- "MetaWatch STRATA: the Smartwatch for the iPhone 4S & Android". Kickstarter.
- "Meta Watch Meta M1 review: the watchmaker's smartwatch". TheVerge.
- Daniel Cooper. "Fossil's Meta Watch passes the FCC, your magic wristwatch fantasies are about to come true". Engadget. AOL.
- "MetaWatch Hacking". dpin.de.
- MODX Systems, LLC. "Metawatch - Questions about new model". metawatch.org.
- MODX Systems, LLC. "Metawatch - Any differences internally between AU2001 & AU2004?". metawatch.org.
- MODX Systems, LLC. "Metawatch - Metawatch Store". metawatch.org.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-05-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Kelly, Gordon (June 17, 2013). "MetaWatch Strata Review | Trusted Reviews". Trusted Reviews. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- Ziegler, Chris (July 27, 2012). "MetaWatch introduces Strata smartwatch on Kickstarter: 'iOS 6 made it possible'". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- Friedman, Lex (March 13, 2013). "Review: The MetaWatch Frame is a very cool smartwatch". PCWorld. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- Adams, Ariel. "From Geek To Chic: The Meta Watch M1 Smartwatch By Frank Nuovo". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- Mogg, Trevor (2014-01-06). "MetaWatch unveils new high-end smartwatch by former Vertu designer". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2018-09-22.