Metadata removal tool
Metadata removal tool or Metadata scrubber is a type of privacy software built to protect the privacy of its users by removing potentially privacy-compromising metadata from files before they are shared with others (e.g. by sending them as e-mail attachments or by posting them on the Web).
Metadata removal tools are also commonly used to reduce the overall sizes of files, particularly image files posted on the Web. For example, a small image on a website, which may contain metadata including a thumbnail image, can easily contain as much metadata as image data, thus removal of that metadata can halve the filesize.
Metadata can be found in many types of files such as documents, spreadsheets, presentations, images, and audio files. They can include information such as details on the file authors, file creation and modification dates, location (GPS), document revision history, thumbnail images and comments.
Since metadata is sometimes not clearly visible in authoring applications (depending on the application and its settings), there is a risk that the user will be unaware of its existence or will forget about it and, if the file is shared, private or confidential information will inadvertently be exposed. The purpose of metadata removal tools is to minimize the risk of such data leakage.
The metadata removal tools that exist today can be divided into four groups:
- Integral metadata removal tools, which are included in some applications, like the Document Inspector in Microsoft Office 2007.
- Batch metadata removal tools, which can process multiple files.
- E-mail client add-ins, which are designed to remove metadata from e-mail attachments just before they are sent.
- Server based systems, which are designed to automatically remove metadata at the network gateway.
- The Importance of Using Metadata Removal Software
- "Beware the Dangers of Metadata" (PDF). (254 KB)
- To Remove or Not to Remove Exif Metadata?
- Remove Metadata from Word
- Remove Metadata from Attachments Inside Outlook
- Online tool to remove EXIF from image files
- Remove Metadata from Office Documents Online
|This security software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|