Metal Slug 7
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2013)|
|Metal Slug 7|
Nintendo DS Cover art
Xbox Live Arcade
|Release date(s)||Metal Slug 7
Metal Slug XXPlayStation Portable
Xbox Live Arcade
|Genre(s)||Run and gun|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, Multiplayer (XX Version Only)|
Metal Slug 7 (メタルスラッグ 7?) is a run and gun video game developed by SNK Playmore for the Nintendo DS. It is the eighth title in the main Metal Slug series. It was announced in the September 2007 issue of Famitsu and marks the first game in the main series that would be released without an arcade version. The game was released in Japan on July 22, 2008 and North America on November 28, 2008 by Ignition Entertainment.
A revised version of the game, titled Metal Slug XX (メタルスラッグ XX?), was released on December 23, 2009 in Japan and North America on February 23, 2010 by Atlus for the PlayStation Portable. This version of the game features additional content, including co-op multiplayer and downloadable content. Metal Slug XX was also released on Xbox Live Arcade on May 19, 2010.
The Peregrine Falcon Strike Force, the Ikari Warriors, and the SPARROWS are once again on a search for General Morden and his army. Their mission is to catch General Morden and prevent his attempts at another coup d'état on the government. However, as soon as Morden was defeated, a strange army from the future came to his aid. Now, they must face Morden once again and this time, put a stop to his plans once and for all.The "future soldiers" was revealed to be Rebel Army members trying to help Morden and his forces.
There are seven levels and three difficulties: Beginner, Normal and Hard. Metal Slug 7 uses the Nintendo DS touchscreen as a map of the level, making it easier for the player to look at the level and where to get power ups or captured prisoners. The usual weapons make their return from the series including a new weapon called "Thunder Shot", which fires a homing electric blast to the enemy. New to Metal Slug XX is downloadable content which includes the addition of Leona Heidern from The King of Fighters series as a playable character.
- Marco Rossi
- Eri Kasamoto
- Tarma Roving
- Fiolina Germi
- Ralf Jones
- Clark Still
- Leona Heidern (XX version only, via DLC)
The three new vehicles are:
- Slug Truck: A road train-like machine that works similar to the Metal Slug, except that a cannon must be connected to the unit to access its secondary weapon. You can have up to four cannons connected, and they have unlimited ammo, but they are destroyed with a single shot.
- Slug Gigant: The Slug Gigant is a giant robot that is capable of massive firepower. Pressing the secondary fire button fires its wave cannon, which neutralizes enemy fire, and throws a punch with its claws. Aiming its gun all the way down causes it to claw enemies on the ground. However, its primary weapon is the standard Vulcan. It has more health than most slugs, and if it is destroyed, the player loses a life and respawns in a new Slug Gigant. Because of this invincibility, it will survive to fight the boss of the level it is in.
- Heavy Armor: Has both vulcan and cannon. Can slide at high speed by holding D-pad down and a direction. Referred to in the manual as the Slug Gunner.
Metal Slug 7 received average to positive reviews.
GameZone's Steven Hopper gave the PSP version a 7 out of 10, saying "If you are a hardcore Metal Slug fan (and there are many out there) then this is a good portable fix. It controls well and offers up plenty of action. The campaign is super-short (clocking in at a little under an hour from start to finish), but this is a game that is meant to be played over and over again. Just don’t expect much in the way of innovation."
- "Metal Slug XX : List of Titles : Xbox Live Arcade (English)". SNK Playmore. May 10, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "Metal Slug XX Review". Gaming Union. March 15, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-15.