Metal Slug Anthology
|Metal Slug Anthology|
North American box art
|Developer(s)||Terminal Reality (Compilation), Nazca Corporation, Noise Factory, SNK Playmore|
|Engine||SNK's Neo Geo MVS arcade hardware|
|Genre(s)||scrolling shooter, run and gun, Arcade|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, 2 player co-op|
Metal Slug Anthology (called Metal Slug Complete (メタルスラッグコンプリート?) in Japan) is a video game compilation for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and the Wii. The Wii version boasts different controller configurations, most taking advantage of the Wii Remote, but the Classic Controller is not supported. The game also marks the return of SNK Playmore as a third-party developer for a Nintendo console since the SNES era.
The graphics are virtually the same as the original versions released on arcade (and the more recent titles published on PS2 and Xbox). The only major change is that all games now display at a converted 480i resolution (compared to the standard 240p). Cooperative gameplay is enabled on the console versions of the game, while the PSP version has a wireless mode so that two people can play together and work as a team.
Metal Slug 1-5 are done via emulation of the Neo Geo AES versions while 6 is an arcade port.
Metal Slug 1-6 and X are included in the release, and the games have not been altered in any way. This is the same with the characters and abilities, which have all been kept the same. However, the game's manual erroneously states that the 'slide' ability is achievable in Metal Slug 4, 5, and 6 — Metal Slug 4 and 6 does not include this feature in either the arcade or console version.
The game includes several special features.
- Art Gallery - Concept art of Metal Slug 1 to 6.
- Wallpapers - PSP-only option. A collection of wallpapers that can be copied to the Memory Stick.
- Sound Gallery - Music from Metal Slug 1 to 6. The PSP version includes an option that allows the player to copy the music to the Memory Stick as Atrac3+ format audio files with the proper track name and album tags.
- Game Options - Including difficulty, lives (which can be limited or unlimited, if they are limited the amount of lives the player has depends upon the difficulty) and a rapid-fire option for all games except Metal Slug 6.
- Interview - A readable interview with some of the games' designers and programmers about the Metal Slug series itself.
The Metal Slug Anthology received positive reviews but was criticized for its lack of Classic Controller support on the Wii version
- "Metal Slug Anthology for PlayStation 2 (2007) Rating Systems". MobyGames. 2007-03-29. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- Metal Slug: Super Vehicle-001
- "SNK's PlayStation Portable games re-launch on PSN for the Incredibly Low Price of $19.99 each". SNK Playmore USA. 2009-10-01. Archived from the original on 2009-10-04. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- "PS2 Classic Metal Slug Anthology Released on PS4, and it Ain't Cheap: Gets Screenshots and Video | DualShockers". Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Metal Slug Anthology for PSP Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic.com. 2007-02-20. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Metal Slug Anthology for PlayStation 2". GameRankings. 2007-03-28. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Metal Slug Anthology". GameSpot.com. 2007-02-20. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Metal Slug Anthology Review". IGN. December 20, 2006. Retrieved June 19, 2013.