Metalist, Slovianoserbsk Raion
On June 17, 2014, a camera crew of Russian state television came under mortar fire at a checkpoint in the vicinity of Metalist. While sound engineer Anton Voloshin (1987-2014) died on the spot, special correspondent Igor Kornelyuk (1977-2014) was severely wounded dying later in hospital. Cameraman Viktor Denisov survived the attack unharmed.
On June 18, 2014, the Ukrainian female army aviator Nadiya Savchenko was captured near the village of Metalist by rebels of the Donbass People's Militia, an armed pro-Russian militant group that declared allegiance to the self-declared People's Republic of Luhansk. She was later handed over to Russia, charged with the killing of two Russian journalists during the 2014 insurgency in Donbass. On July 2, 2014, heavy fighting was reported in and near here.
- Zwei russische Journalisten nahe Luhansk getötet, zeit.de, 17 Jun 2014 (in German)
- Russischer Journalist bei Gefechten getötet, spiegel.de, 17.06.2014 (in German)
- ‘No chance to survive’: Rossiya TV journalists Kornelyuk and Voloshin killed in Ukraine shelling , rt.com, 18 June 2014
- Мать пилота Надежды Савченко: Моя дочь в плену, боюсь, ее держат на наркотиках! Komsomoskaya Pravda, July 1, 2014.
- Russia Charges Ukrainian Pilot Savchenko Over Journalists' Deaths, NBC News (9 July 2014)
|This article about a location in Luhansk Oblast is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|