Metanoia (Porcupine Tree album)
|Compilation album by Porcupine Tree|
|Recorded||13 July 1995 – 3 March 1997|
|Genre||Progressive rock, psychedelic rock, space rock|
|Porcupine Tree chronology|
Metanoia is a compilation album by British progressive rock band Porcupine Tree, first released on 10" double-vinyl in December, 1998, in a limited run of 1000 copies. It is mostly made up of improvisations recorded during the Signify sessions, some of which were later shaped into songs. To help deter secondary- and black-market sales, the album was released on CD in December 2001 and re-issued again in 2006; it includes extra, previously released tracks from singles that were sequenced where they were extracted from the longform jams. "Mesmer I" became the basis for tour-only piece "Cryogenics," originally intended for Coma Divine but left out during mixing.
In a critical review on expose.org, the album has been described as "in every way the antithesis of “Stupid Dream”, and simultaneously every bit as brilliant". A special recognition is given to Chris Maitland and Colin Edwin who show " a masterful display of finesse and energy". The album review is finalized with the highest recommendation to listeners.
The original version of the CD has since been out-of-print. Copies of the original are considered to be quite rare and often go for a high price on online auctioning websites.
Inner and outer cover shows paintings made by Frans Janssen. Design was done by Carl Glover. All tracks were composed by Porcupine Tree.
- "Mesmer I" – 8:33
- "Mesmer II" – 6:03
- "Mesmer III / Coma Divine" – 13:18
- "Door to the River" – 4:25
- "Metanoia I / Intermediate Jesus" – 14:32
- "Insignificance" – 4:55
- "Metanoia II" – 11:03
- "Milan" – 2:25
- "Mesmer I" - 8:33
- "Mesmer II" - 6:07
- "Mesmer III/Coma Divine" - 13:18
- "Metanoia I/Intermediate Jesus" - 14:32
- "Metanoia II" - 11:03
- "Milan" - 2:30
- The track "Coma Divine" was recorded in Cambridge on 13 July 1995.
- The tracks "Intermediate Jesus" and "Insignificance" were recorded from the same jam in Henley-on-Thames on 4 March 1996. The tracks do not include Richard Barbieri.
- The track "Milan" was recorded in Milan during the Coma Divine tour.
- The tracks "Insignificance" and "Door to the River" appeared on the original cassette release of Insignificance.