|Founded||United Kingdom (1981 )|
|Founder||Ian S. Ferguson|
Number of locations
|Martin Lund, CEO|
Tom Cronan, CFO
|Products||Virtualized software for service providers, network protocol stacks for equipment manufacturers|
Number of employees
|700 ±50 (2011)|
Metaswitch Networks was a private UK-based company until it was acquired by Microsoft in July 2020. Metaswitch Networks designs, develops, manufactures, and markets telecommunications software to communication service providers, equipment manufacturers and large enterprises.
Metaswitch (formerly Data Connection Ltd) was founded in 1981 by seven former IBM employees led by Ian Ferguson, who remained on the board of directors until the company's acquisition by Microsoft. The company's earliest business areas included IBM Systems Network Architecture (SNA) and retail point of sale systems. In the 1990s, the company began developing network protocol software.
In 2000, the company launched the Metaswitch brand, which provided softswitches and network management systems designed to enable telephone service providers to migrate to Voice over IP (VoIP) networks while still supporting legacy telephone technologies. By 2008, the Metaswitch division was responsible for 78% of the company's revenue.
In April 2009, the company announced intentions to consolidate all of its products and business operations under the Metaswitch brand, with two business units: the Carrier Systems Division and Network Protocol Division. In October 2009, the company rebranded itself as Metaswitch Networks, to reflect the growing focus on the products and services that it sells to telephone service providers.
In August 2011, the company formally changed its name from Data Connection Ltd to Metaswitch Networks Ltd.
In March 2010, the firm acquired AppTrigger Inc, a provider of service broker software in Richardson, Texas. In April 2011, it acquired Colibria AS, a provider of Rich Communication Suite (RCS) software in Oslo, Norway. In February 2017, Metaswitch acquired OpenCloud Ltd, a provider of an open mobile services platform.
Ownership and investors
- "Fact Sheet Overview". Metaswitch Networks.
- "History". Metaswitch Networks.
- "MetaSwitch - Engineered for Success in VoB/VoIP". Optical Keyhole. 15 March 2004. Archived from the original on 20 August 2007.
- "Locations". Metaswitch Networks.
- "Board of Directors". Metaswitch Networks.
- "METASWITCH NETWORKS LTD - Filing history (free information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 15 July 2020.
- Karpinski, Rich (29 October 2008). "Metaswitch Touts 22% Growth". Connected Planet Online. Archived from the original on 20 May 2010.
- Mohney, Doug (8 April 2009). "MetaSwitch Forum 2009: MetaSwitch appoints Lazar CEO, adds DeNuccio to board, consolidates brand". FierceVoIP. FierceMarkets. Archived from the original on 20 May 2010.
- "Metaswitch Networks Annual Results Show Revenue Growth, Strong Profitability and Market Share Gains" (Press release). Metaswitch Networks. 7 October 2009. Archived from the original on 9 November 2011.
- "Metaswitch Networks". Companies in the UK.
- "Metaswitch opens NFV code as Project Calico". Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Microsoft announces definitive agreement to acquire Metaswitch Network". 14 May 2020.
- "Microsoft Completes Metaswitch Networks Acquisition". 16 July 2020.
- "Metaswitch Enters Service Broker Market with Acquisition of AppTrigger" (Press release). Metaswitch Networks. 9 March 2010. Archived from the original on 9 November 2011.
- "Metaswitch Acquires Colibria" (Press release). Metaswitch Networks. 6 April 2011. Archived from the original on 9 November 2011.
- "Metaswitch Eyes VoLTE With OpenCloud Buy | Light Reading". Light Reading. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- Jander, Mary (22 September 2003). "DCL: Hiring Toward Profits". Light Reading. UBM TechWeb. Archived from the original on 3 November 2003.
- "Stability". Metaswitch Networks. Ownership. Archived from the original on 20 May 2010.
The company is privately held by top-tier investment firms Francisco Partners and Sequoia Capital, as well as the Employee Benefit Trust (EBT), which distributes a share of profit to all employees…
- "Francisco Partners and Sequoia Capital make significant investment in Data Connection and MetaSwitch" (Press release). Metaswitch Networks. 14 January 2008. Archived from the original on 20 January 2012.
- Wilson, Carol (14 January 2008). "MetaSwitch gets cash infusion". Connected Planet Online. Archived from the original on 23 May 2010.