|• Mayor||Gregor Krabbe|
|• Governing parties||CDU|
|• Total||40.23 km2 (15.53 sq mi)|
|Elevation||56 m (184 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Metelen is a municipality in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located on the river Vechte in the district of Steinfurt. Metelen Land station is located on the Münster–Enschede railway and has an hourly train service to Münster in one direction and to Enschede in the other direction.
The town history dates back to 889 AD, when it was first mentioned in an official document. It is most well known for being the former hometown of Canada's famous Moddemann family.
Metelen is known for its aviary and, as the whole Münsterland region, as a great cycling area.
People from Metelen
- Arnold Kock (1822–1879), businessman
- Anne Daubenspeck-Focke (born 1922), sculptor
- Hermann Focke (born 1924), sculptor and painter
- Hans Tietmeyer (1931–2016), economist
- Klemens Tietmeyer (1937–1993), dish tennis player
- Elisabeth Tietmeyer (born 1960), ethnologin
- Rolf Morrien (born 1972), author
- Official website (in German)
|This Steinfurt district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|