Metelkova City (full name in Slovene: Avtonomni kulturni center Metelkova mesto, "Metelkova City Autonomous Cultural Center") is an autonomous social centre in the centre of Ljubljana, Slovenia. It is located on the site of former military barracks (the Slovenian headquarters of the Yugoslav National Army) and was squatted September 1993. The site consists of seven buildings and is 12,500 m² in area. The squat is named after nearby Metelko Street (Slovene: Metelkova ulica), which is named after the 19th-century Slovenian Roman Catholic priest, philologist, and unsuccessful language reformer Fran Metelko.
At Metelkova City a range of activities have been held. These include an art gallery, bars, artists studios, space for designers, offices of cultural organisations and concerts featuring different types of live music from Free Jazz, Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Punk rock, Heavy metal and Noise to Dub and Techno. Since it hosted LGBT and anti-racist activities, Metelkova was targeted by racist skinheads in 1994.
On August 2, 2006, the Inspectorate for the Environment and Spatial Planning demolished one building, known as the Small School (Slovene: Mala Šola), after several previous attempts were thwarted. There are plans to rebuild the school.
- "100 Years of Metelkova". Archived from the original on 2005-01-22. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
- Ambrose, Joe  Moshpit, Omnibus Press ISBN 0-7119-8744-0
- Sandfort, Theo and Stulhofer, Aleksandar  Sexuality and Gender in Postcommunist Eastern Europe and Russia, Haworth Press, ISBN 0-7890-2294-X
- Mudde, Cas  Racist Extremism in Central and Eastern Europe, Routledge, ISBN 0-415-35593-1
- "Metelkova, Ljubljana: Cultural exception falls from grace". Mute Magazine. 2006-06-16. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
- "Letter to the public, August 2006". August 2006. Archived from the original on 2006-11-16. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Metelkova mesto.|
- AKC Metelkova mesto (new page)
- Metelkova mesto (old page)
- Where Soldiers Slept, a Cultural Enclave Rises
- The Story Of Metelkova Mesto