Method (Experience Design Firm)
Method is an international experience design firm focused at the intersection of brand, product, and service design. Method was created in 1999 by Kevin Farnham, David Lipkin, Patrick Newbery, Mike Abbink, and Meng Mantasoot. First started in San Francisco, Method's founding principle was to use multidisciplinary, multi-platform design thinking to create beautiful and extendable solutions. Method's goal was to be quick to adapt to new technology. Method has approximately 100 employees in 3 offices located in San Francisco, New York City, and London.
In 1999, the opportunity to work together with Autodesk arose, launching Method. In 2000, Method expanded and opened its New York office in order to accommodate more work. Method's earliest clients were Autodesk, Adobe Systems, Gucci, Palm, MoMA, and Macromedia.
Their international presence was established in 2008 when Method opened its London office.
Method created the brand identity and initial set top box user interface for OTT startup, Boxee, in 2006. The Boxee work has won the Graphis Gold Award for logo design. Boxee has since been named one of the top 5 Companies That Are Re-Inventing Media by The Huffington Post and named "America's Next Top Gadget" by Appletell.
In 2007, Method launched and redesigned the website for the TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) Conferences. The conference is very exclusive, and previously only the select TED members had access to the TEDTalks. The website redesign has opened the talks presented at the conference to the public, and offers new browsing and social networking features. TED.com has since won awards from the One Show Interactive, Webbys, OMMA, HOW Interactive, and Pixel, w3, and Communication Arts for Visual Design, Navigation/Structure, Technical Achievement, and Video Sharing. TED was named one of the 50 Best Websites of 2010 by Time magazine, and has received praise from various media outlets, including The New York Times, The Guardian, and Design Week.
In 2009, Method worked with the founders of Aardvark to expand their services into an online offering. Previously, Aardvark was available via instant message and text message. The new website, vark.com, has an infographic that explains how Aardvark works in 3 steps and also encourages people to use the service with a test question. 6 months after the website launched, Aardvark was acquired by Google for $50 million. Aardvark has also won the SXSW Web Award for Community.
Method was design partner for leader in social television, Viggle, creating their brand identity, loyalty strategy, and the design for the iPhone application, which in its first year since launch in January, 2012, has surpassed 1.8 million registered users and 151 million check-ins.
In 2014, Method worked with Salesforce to design and develop a new multi-channel online broadcast experience for their 2014 Dreamforce conference. The analytics on the site far surpassed the goal, with 8 million unique viewers from all campaigns, 284k visits to Salesforce LIVE, 608k page views on Salesforce LIVE, and 20 minutes average view time (and 24 minutes average view time to the Channel 1 experience). 
To celebrate their 11th anniversary in 2010, Method launched its own content series, 10x10. The 10x10 series covers topics such as cable-cutting, monetization of content, entertainment in the cloud, mobile interfaces, and gaming impact. The series has been well received by the media including The Huffington Post, PSFK, Core77, Cool Hunting, and Fortune. The series currently lives on Method's website and is syndicated by Fast Company Design.
Method has won many awards for work since the company began in 1999. Awards include HOW, One Show, Graphis, Rebrand 100, Webby, Pixel, Hub Prize, Interactive Media Awards, and Web Visionary Awards.
Winning work includes Viggle, Reuters The Wider Image app, TED, Cinereach, Horse & Country TV, PBS Video, Boxee, San Francisco International Film Festival, Comcast Fancast, SFMOMA, Coda, LUSH and Nike.
- Brand & Identity Design
- Service Design
- Product Design
- User Experience Design
- User Interface
- Brand Architecture
- Design Research & Insights
- Method.com. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Pacey, Emily (25 April 2008). "Method Opens London Office". Design Week (UK).
- "GlobalLogic Acquires Method". Washington Business Journal. 27 September 2011.
- "Boxes". Method.com, 6 September 2010.
- "Award-Winning Work". Method.com. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- Rosenbaum, Steve (4 March 2009). "5 Companies That Are Re-Inventing Media". Huffington Post.
- Gaecke, Jake (21 October 2008). "Boxee Updated Adds Support for Hulu, CBS, and Comedy Central". Appletell.com.
- Time Staff (25 August 2010). "50 Best Websites of 2010 - TED". TIME Magazine.
- Heffernan, Virginia (23 January 2009). "Confessions of a TED Addict". New York Times.
- "In Praise of... TED". The Guardian (UK). 6 May 2008.
- "Hot 50 - V-W". Design Week. 27 July 2010. (subscription required)
- "Aardvark". Method.com, 1 August 2010.
- Arrington, Michael (11 February 2010). "Google Acquires Aardvark for 50 Million". Techcrunch.com.
- andrew (14 March 2010). "SXSW Interactive Awards". South By Southwest.
- "Case studies: Viggle" Method.com, 25 February 2013.
- "Viggle celebrates its first year with 1.8 million registered users and 151 million check-ins". "The Next Web. 28 January 2013.
- "Salesforce". Method. Retrieved 2015-09-09.
- Gilles, John, (1 February 2010). "Cable's Lost Generation". Huffington Post.
- Stone, Terry (8 February 2010). "The design firm Method is turning 10, and it's celebrating by looking ahead with a thoughtful series". CreativePro.com.
- Vazquez, Paloma (28 June 2010). "Place, Space, and the Mobile Interface". PSFK.com. 28 June 2010.
- Studstill, Kyle (11 August 2010). "The Power of Immediate Feedback". PSFK.com.
- "In the Press". Method.com, 27 August 2010.
- StuCon (7 February 2010). "Method's 10th Anniversary Celebration". Core77.com blog.
- Mangalindan, JP (7 September 2010). "The Game Based Economy". CNN Money, CNN.com.
- "10x10". Method.com. 6 September 2010.
- "Nominations and Winners, 2012". Pixel Awards. 25 February 2013.
- "Winners". The Lovie Awards. 25 February 2013.
- "2010 Rebrand 100 Merit - Cinereach". Rebrand.com. 20 April 2010.
- "2010 Rebrand 100 Review List - Horse & Country - H&C". Rebrand.com, 20 April 2010.