Location of Metomen, Wisconsin
|County||Fond du Lac|
|• Total||34.6 sq mi (89.7 km2)|
|• Land||34.6 sq mi (89.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,007 ft (307 m)|
|• Density||20.5/sq mi (7.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1583709|
Metomen is a town in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 709 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Metomen is in the town. The ghost town of Reeds Corners was also located in the town.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 34.6 square miles (89.7 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 709 people, 239 households, and 200 families residing in the town. The population density was 20.5 people per square mile (7.9/km²). There were 247 housing units at an average density of 7.1 per square mile (2.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.03% White, 0.56% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.14% from other races, and 0.99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.99% of the population.
There were 239 households out of which 41.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 76.6% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.9% were non-families. 13.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.97 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the town, the population was spread out with 29.9% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 29.1% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 104.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $44,722, and the median income for a family was $47,708. Males had a median income of $31,932 versus $23,646 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,776. About 3.3% of families and 5.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.9% of those under age 18 and 7.5% of those age 65 or over.
- William Plocker, businessman, farmer, and politician, lived in the town.
- William F. Sommerfield, businessman and legislator, was born in the town.
- Andrew J. Yorty, businessman and legislator, lived in the town.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1875,' Biographical Sketch of Willam Plocker, pg. 323-324
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1913,' Biographical Sketch of William F. Sommerfield, pg. 661
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1872,' Biographical Sketch of Andrew J. Yorty, pg. 477