Metro Cash & Carry
|Olaf Koch, CEO|
|Products||Fast-moving consumer goods|
|Revenue||€29.4 billion (2018) |
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Metro Cash & Carry Pakistan|
The cash-and-carry concept is based around self-service and bulk buying targets business owners. Core customer groups are hotels, restaurants, caterers, traders, and other business professionals.
|Republic of Moldova||2004||3|
1 Operating under Makro brand.
Metro opened the first store in 1971 in the Copenhagen suburb of Glostrup. Since then stores have been opened in Aarhus, Kolding, Sydhavnen in Copenhagen and Aalborg in chronological order. Denmark was one of the first countries to begin operating delivery services out of the stores and had its own truck fleet that covered all of Denmark. Metro left Denmark in December 2014.
In 2014, Metro sold the Makro Greek business, composed of 9 stores, to Sklavenitis.
The first store opened in June 2010 and the second in October 2010. Both stores were closed some time within 2013-2015, as the company started withdrawing from loss-making markets.
In 2010, Metro sold the Makro subsidiary in Morocco.
From 1964, for this supermarket chain, there were two different logos. The first logo of the supermarket chain had been in use from 1964 to 2004, and the second and current logo is in use since 2004.
- "METRO Cash & Carry" (PDF). Metro AG. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- "METRO Cash & Carry". Metrog-cc.de. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- "The Grocer - Booker swoops to buy up beleaguered Makro". Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- "METRO Cash & Carry sells parts of the Danish business to Euro Cater". Metrogroup.de. 2014-10-10. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "Germany's Metro sells nine Greek cash-and-carry stores". Reuters. 2014-11-25. Retrieved 2019-06-09.
- "مترو | TOP-LEVEL". Archived from the original on February 16, 2013. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "METRO Cash & Carry divests business in Morocco". Metro AG. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2019-06-09.
- "METRO GROUP signs agreement to divest its wholesale activities in Vietnam". 7 August 2014. Retrieved 1 March 2015.