Metro Exodus cover art
|Release||15 February 2019|
Metro Exodus is an upcoming first-person shooter video game developed by 4A Games and published by Deep Silver. It is the third installment in the Metro video game series based on Dmitry Glukhovsky's novels. It is set to follow the events of Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light.
Metro Exodus is a first-person shooter game with survival horror and stealth elements. Set in the post-apocalyptic wasteland of the former Russian Federation, the player must cope with the new hazards and engage in combat against mutated creatures as well as hostile humans. The player wields an arsenal of hand-made weaponry which can be customized through scavenging materials and a crafting system. The game features a mixture of linear levels and sandbox environments. It also includes a dynamic weather system, a day-night cycle, and environments that change along with the seasons as the story progresses. It will be set over the course of one whole in-game year.
Metro Exodus is set in 2036, two years after the events of Metro: Last Light, on a post-apocalyptic Earth that has been devastated by a nuclear war 23 years ago. The game continues the story from Metro: Last Light's "Redemption" ending. Similar to the previous two entries, the player assumes the role of 23-year-old Artyom who flees the Metro in Moscow and sets off on a continent-spanning journey with Spartan Rangers to the far east. Artyom first travels around the Volga River, not far from the Ural Mountains, to get a ride on a locomotive known as the "Aurora" that heads east for a new life. The story takes place over the course of one year, starting in harsh nuclear winter in the metro. Another major character, returning from the previous game and the book Metro 2035, is Anna - who is now Artyom's wife.
Metro Exodus was announced on 11 June 2017 at Microsoft's press conference during E3 2017. The game is scheduled to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on 15 February 2019.
- Geoff Keighley. on YouTube. (11 June 2017).
- Dunn, Jeff (11 June 2017). "'Metro Exodus' is a gorgeous action-adventure game coming to Microsoft's new Xbox One X". Business Insider. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Parfitt, Ben (12 June 2017). "Metro Exodus takes the series open world". MCV. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Alexander, Julia (11 June 2017). "Metro Exodus developer calls sandbox survival game 'most ambitious project yet'". Polygon. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Brown, Fraser (13 December 2018). "Metro Exodus brings its release date forward by a week". PC Gamer.