Metro North West Line
|Service type||Rapid transit|
|Current operator(s)||Metro Trains Sydney|
|Distance travelled||36 km (22 mi)|
|Average journey time||37 minutes|
|Service frequency||5 minutes (peak)|
10 minutes (off-peak)
|Line(s) used||Sydney Metro Northwest|
(including Epping to Chatswood rail link)
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Track owner(s)||Transport for NSW|
The Metro North West Line is the first and currently the only service in the Sydney Metro network. The service commenced operation on 26 May 2019, running between Tallawong and Chatswood along the Sydney Metro Northwest rail link, which included the Epping to Chatswood rail link.
The metro services are operated by Metro Trains Sydney, a joint venture between MTR Corporation, John Holland and UGL Rail, and are operated by driverless, single deck trains, stopping at 13 stations along the Sydney Metro Northwest. In the first six weeks of operations, the service will have a track frequency of every 5 minutes in peak hours and every 10 minutes in off peak hours. Afterwards, the peak hour frequency will be increased to every 4 minutes.
North West Night Bus
In the first six months of operations, the metro service is supplemented by a late night bus service known as North West Night Bus, stopping at 13 bus stops within close proximity to these stations. The bus service operates Sunday to Wednesday nights after about 9.30 pm in both directions, charging metro fares and frequency of every 10 minutes. This is because during this period, the last metro services on these nights are 10.05 pm from Chatswood and 9.25 pm from Tallawong. The bus service is temporary and will be withdrawn after six months in late 2019, when the metro reaches full operations. The bus service is jointly operated by Transdev NSW and Hillsbus, both of whom previously jointly operated the Station Link services between September 2018 and May 2019.
|Name||Railway line(s)||Opened||Serving Suburbs||Other lines|
|Tallawong - Chatswood|
|Rouse Hill||Northwest||2019||Rouse Hill|
|Bella Vista||Northwest||2019||Bella Vista|
|Hills Showground||Northwest||2019||Castle Hill|
|Castle Hill||Northwest||2019||Castle Hill|
|Epping||Epping to Chatswood||1900||Epping|
|Macquarie University||Epping to Chatswood||2009||Macquarie Park|
|Macquarie Park||Epping to Chatswood||2009||Macquarie Park|
|North Ryde||Epping to Chatswood||2009||North Ryde|
|Chatswood||Epping to Chatswood||1890||Chatswood|
View of the bridge from Rouse Hill railway station
- "M: Metro North West line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- "North West opening date announced". Sydney Metro. 5 May 2019. Archived from the original on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "North West Night Bus". Transport Info NSW. Archived from the original on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Metro North West Line timetable - May 2019" (PDF). Transport Info NSW. Archived (PDF) from the original on 6 May 2019. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "NW1 Timetable - May 2019" (PDF). Transport Info NSW. Archived (PDF) from the original on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "NW2 Timetable - May 2019" (PDF). Transport Info NSW. Archived (PDF) from the original on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 10 May 2019.