Metro North West Line
|Metro North West Line|
|Service type||Rapid transit|
|First service||26 May 2019 (Chatswood to Tallawong)|
2024 (Bankstown to Tallawong)
|Current operator(s)||Metro Trains Sydney|
|Distance travelled||36 km (22 mi)|
|Average journey time||37 minutes|
|Service frequency||4 minutes (peak)|
10 minutes (off-peak)
|Rolling stock||Metropolis Stock fully automated trains, 6 carriages per train|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||1,500 V DC from overhead catenary|
|Operating speed||Limit of 100 km/h (62 mph)|
|Track owner(s)||Transport Asset Holding Entity|
Metro North West Line is a rapid transit rail line in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. The first–and currently the only line on the Sydney Metro network, it commenced operation on 26 May 2019, running between Tallawong and Chatswood.
The North West Line is being constructed in two stages. The current section was completed in May 2019 under the Sydney Metro Northwest project, which involved the construction of an entirely new line between Tallawong and Epping, along with the conversion of the Epping to Chatswood railway line which previously operated under suburban Sydney Trains services. The second stage, the Sydney Metro City & Southwest, is currently under construction and involves extending this line from Chatswood to Bankstown, similarly involving a combination of constructing a new line from Chatswood to Sydenham and converting a section of the Bankstown railway line from Sydenham to Bankstown, which previously operated as the suburban T3 Bankstown Line under Sydney Trains.
Services on the line are operated by Metro Trains Sydney, a joint venture between the MTR Corporation[a], John Holland and UGL Rail. Services take 37 minutes to traverse the current 13 stations from end to end, at a frequency at each station of every four minutes during peak hours and every ten minutes in the off peak. Upon initial opening, the line previously operated at a frequency at each station of every five minutes during peak hours.
North West Night Bus
In the first six months of operations, regular metro services on the line were supplemented by a late night bus service known as the North West Night Bus, with 13 stops in close proximity to these stations. The bus service operated from Sunday to Wednesday nights after about 9.30 pm in both directions, filling in for final metro services at 10.05 pm from Chatswood and 9.25 pm from Tallawong, charging metro fares and operating at a frequency of every ten minutes. This service was temporary and was withdrawn six months later on 5 November 2019, when the metro reached full operations. The bus service was jointly operated by Transdev NSW and Hillsbus, both of whom previously jointly operated the Station Link services between September 2018 and May 2019.
|Tallawong||Rouse Hill||Constructed as part of the Sydney Metro Northwest project|
|Rouse Hill||Rouse Hill|
|Bella Vista||Bella Vista|
|Hills Showground||Castle Hill|
|Castle Hill||Castle Hill|
|Epping||Epping||Underground platforms constructed as part of the Epping to Chatswood railway line, converted to metro as part of the Sydney Metro Northwest project|
|Macquarie University||Macquarie Park||Constructed as part of the Epping to Chatswood railway line, converted to metro as part of the Sydney Metro Northwest project|
|Macquarie Park||Macquarie Park|
|North Ryde||North Ryde|
|Chatswood||Chatswood||(peak hours only)||Rebuilt during construction of the Epping to Chatswood railway line, centre platforms converted to metro as part of the Sydney Metro Northwest project|
- "M: Metro North West line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- "Metro North West Line timetable - 1 July 2019". Transport for NSW. Archived (PDF) from the original on 18 June 2019. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Metro North West Line timetable - 27 May 2019" (PDF). Transport for NSW. Archived from the original on 8 May 2019. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
- "North West opening date announced". Sydney Metro. 5 May 2019. Archived from the original on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "North West Night Bus". Transport Info NSW. Archived from the original on 25 October 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Metro North West Line timetable - May 2019" (PDF). Transport Info NSW. Archived (PDF) from the original on 6 May 2019. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "NW1 Timetable - May 2019" (PDF). Transport Info NSW. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "NW2 Timetable - May 2019" (PDF). Transport Info NSW. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 10 May 2019.