Metropolitan New York Library Council
Metropolitan New York Library Council Service Area
|New York City and Westchester County|
|Product||Member Services Institution|
The Metropolitan New York Library Council is a non-profit organization that specializes in providing research, programming, and organizational tools for New York City libraries, archives, and museums. The Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) was founded in 1964 under the Education Law of the State of New York.
Member institutions include the City University of New York Libraries, Columbia University, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Mercy College, Museum of Modern Art, New York Botanical Garden, New York Public Library, New York University, Rockefeller University, Westchester Library System, Sotheby's Institute of Art, Scholastic, Inc., and UNICEF.
As a membership-based organization, METRO offers archival and library training opportunities, facilitates research and local community initiatives, supports Special Interest Groups (SIGs), and provides research, programming, and organizational tools for New York libraries, archives, and museums. It is also responsible for providing funding for internships and digitization projects to member libraries. METRO digitization grants provide member libraries with the opportunity to digitize their collections, several of which are available via the Internet Archive in METRO's collection of ebooks and texts.
Programs and sponsored projects
- Digitization Grant Program
- myMETRO Researchers
- Documentary Heritage Program (DHP) The current Documentary Heritage Program is collocated on its Keeping Collections website.
- Hospital Library Services Program
- Queens Memory Project
- NYARC Documenting the Gilded Age: New York City Exhibitions at the Turn of the Century
- Wikipedia GLAM Initiative ("Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums") via Metropolitan New York Library Council
Works or publications
- "Hurricane Sandy: Record, Remember, Rebuild"
- "Special Interest Groups". Metropolitan New York Library Council. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "About digitalMETRO". digitalMETRO. Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO). Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Documentary Heritage Program". Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO). Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Price, Gary (May 30, 2013). "METRO, SAA, NARA, Google, and Historypin Partner on "Hurricane Sandy: Record, Remember, Rebuild" Project". Library Journal INFOdocket. Library Journal. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- METRO website