Metropolitan municipality (South Africa)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
In South Africa, a metropolitan municipality or Category A municipality is a municipality which executes all the functions of local government for a city or conurbation. This is by contrast to areas which are primarily rural, where the local government is divided into district municipalities and local municipalities.
The Constitution, section 155.1.a, defines "Category A" municipalities. In the Municipal Structures Act it is laid out that this type of local government is to be used for conurbations, "centre[s] of economic activity", areas "for which integrated development planning is desirable", and areas with "strong interdependent social and economic linkages".
The metropolitan municipality is similar to the consolidated city-county in the USA, although a South African metropolitan municipality is created by notice of the provincial government, not by agreement between district and local municipalities.
Metropolitan municipalities were brought about so that cities could be governed as single entities. This had not been possible under the fragmented local government structures of apartheid. A key demand of anti-apartheid civics in the 1980s was for 'one city, one tax base' in order to facilitate distribution of funds to areas of highest need. Local government reform after apartheid produced six Transitional Metropolitan Councils following the 1995/6 local government elections. These were characterized by a two-tier structure.  From 2000, these six Metropolitan Councils were restructured into their final single-tier form. In 2011, Buffalo City (East London) and Mangaung (Bloemfontein) were added to the category of metropolitan municipality.
List of metropolitan municipalities
|Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality||BUF||Eastern Cape||East London||2,750||834,997||303.6|
|City of Cape Town Metropolitan Municipality||CPT||Western Cape||Cape Town||2,446||4,005,016||1,637.6|
|City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality||JHB||Gauteng||Johannesburg||1,645||4,949,347||3,008.8|
|City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality||TSH||Gauteng||Pretoria||6,298||3,275,152||520.0|
|City of Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality||EKU||Gauteng||Germiston||1,975||3,379,104||1,710.6|
|eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality||ETH||KwaZulu-Natal||Durban||2,556||3,702,231||1,448.5|
|Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality||MAN||Free State||Bloemfontein||9,886||787,803||79.7|
|Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality||NMA||Eastern Cape||Port Elizabeth||1,957||1,263,051||645.4|
- "Welcome to the official South African government online site! - South African Government". Info.gov.za. Archived from the original on 5 January 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Welcome to the official South African government online site! - South African Government". Info.gov.za. Archived from the original on 29 June 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Mabin, Alan (2006) Local government in South Africa’s larger cities. In U. Pillay, R. Tomlinson, & J. du Toit (Eds.) Democracy and delivery: urban policy in South Africa (pp. 135-156). Cape Town: HSRC.
- Mark Swilling, Richard Humphries and Khehal Shubane (eds) Apartheid city in Transition. Cape Town: Oxford University Press
- van Donk, Mirjam and Edgar Pieterse (2006) ‘Reflections on the design of a post-apartheid system of (urban) local government’ in Udesh Pillay; Richard Tomlinson; Jacques du Toit (eds.) Democracy and Delivery: Urban Policy in South Africa. Cape Town HSRC Press
- Cameron, Robert (2006) Local government boundary reorganization. In Udesh Pillay, Richard Tomlinson, Jacques du Toit (eds.) Democracy and Delivery: Urban Policy in South Africa. Cape Town HSRC Press pp 76-106
- Lynelle John; Landiwe Mahlangu (21 June 2011). "Metros in SA: Debate on national policy choices". Mail and Guardian. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "Shapefiles Statistics". Demarcation.org.za. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "Statistics". Interactive2.statssa.gov.za. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "AMENDMENT OF NOTICE ESTABLISHING THE EKURHULENI METROPOLITAN MUNICIPALITY (NOTICE NO. 3585 OF 2005)". Ekurhuleni.gov.za. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Government Communication & Information Services (2005) Categories of municipalities
- Parliament of the Republic of South Africa (1996) Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, Chapter 7: Local Government
- Parliament of the Republic of South Africa (1998) Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, Act 117 of 1998.
- South African Local Government Association