Metropolitanate of Belgrade
Metropolitanate of Belgrade
|Sui iuris church||Self-governing Serbian Orthodox Metropolitanate|
The Metropolitanate of Belgrade (Serbian: Београдска митрополија, romanized: Beogradska mitropolija) was a metropolitanate of the Serbian Orthodox Church that existed between 1831 and 1920, with jurisdiction over the territory of Principality and Kingdom of Serbia. It was formed in 1831, when Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople granted church autonomy to the Principality of Serbia. Territorial enlargement and full canonical autocephaly was gained in 1879. The Metropolitanate of Belgrade existed until 1920, when it was merged with Patriarchate of Karlovci and other Serbian ecclesiastical provinces to form the united Serbian Orthodox Church. The seat of the Metropolitanate was in Belgrade, Serbia.
It included following eparchies:
|Eparchy of Belgrade||Belgrade||Now Archbishopric of Belgrade and Karlovci.|
|Eparchy of Žiča||Čačak||Eparchy of Užice until 26 June 1884. Now seated in Kraljevo.|
|Eparchy of Šabac||Šabac||Part of the Eparchy of Belgrade from 1886 to 1898.|
|Eparchy of Timok||Zaječar||Formed after 1833. Part of the Eparchy of Niš from 1886 to 1891.|
|Eparchy of Niš||Niš||Added in 1879. Eparchy of Nišava (seated in Pirot) abolished and merged with Eparchy of Niš on 1 November 1880.|
|Eparchy of Raška and Prizren||Prizren||Administration from 1912.|
|Eparchy of Skopje||Skopje||Administration from 1912.|
|Eparchy of Debar and Kičevo||Kičevo||Administration from 1912.|
|1831–1833||Archbishop of Belgrade and Metropolitan of Serbia||First Serb Metropolitan of Belgrade|
|1833–1859||Archbishop of Belgrade and Metropolitan of Serbia|
|1859–1881||Archbishop of Belgrade and Metropolitan of Serbia||First tenure|
|1881–1883||Administrator of the Metropolitanate of Belgrade||Appointed by the Cabinet of Milan Piroćanac|
|1883–1889||Archbishop of Belgrade and Metropolitan of Serbia|
|1889–1898||Archbishop of Belgrade and Metropolitan of Serbia||Second tenure|
|1898–1905||Archbishop of Belgrade and Metropolitan of Serbia|
|1905–1920||Archbishop of Belgrade and Metropolitan of Serbia||Elevated to Patriarch|
- List of heads of the Serbian Orthodox Church
- Serbian Orthodox Church
- Archbishopric of Belgrade and Karlovci
- Religion in Serbia
- Вуковић, Сава (1996). Српски јерарси од деветог до двадесетог века (Serbian Hierarchs from the 9th to the 20th Century). Евро, Унирекс, Каленић.
- Pavlowitch, Stevan K. (2002). Serbia: The History behind the Name. London: Hurst & Company.
- Ćirković, Sima (2004). The Serbs. Malden: Blackwell Publishing.
- Kiminas, Demetrius (2009). The Ecumenical Patriarchate: A History of Its Metropolitanates with Annotated Hierarch Catalogs. Wildside Press LLC.
- Radić, Radmila (2007). "Serbian Christianity". The Blackwell Companion to Eastern Christianity. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing. pp. 231–248.