|• Mayor||René Kälin|
|• Total||13.01 km2 (5.02 sq mi)|
|Elevation||460 m (1,510 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||370/km2 (970/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Aeugst am Albis, Affoltern am Albis, Kappel am Albis, Knonau, Maschwanden, Obfelden, Rifferswil|
Origin of the name
The town took its name from being "In the middle". It was listed as being in the middle of two other locations (the exact identity of the locations have been lost in time). Additionally, people used to overnight at Mettmenstetten when they were traveling between Zurich and Luzern, as this town is about in the middle of the route.
Mettmenstetten has an area of 13.1 km2 (5.1 sq mi). Of this area, 67.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 18.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 13.1% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.1%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
It is located about 11 minutes driving distance from the City of Zug, and 18 minutes from the City of Zurich. Affoltern is about 5 minutes north.
The municipality includes the village of Mettmenstetten, with the two core sections of Ober- and Untermettmenstetten as well as the other sections; Dachlissen, Eigi, Grossholz, Herferswil, Hübscheren, Rossau and Wissenbach. It is located an elevation of 460 m (1,510 ft).
Mettmenstetten has a population (as of 31 December 2016) of 4,861. As of 2007[update], 10.9% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 18%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (92.8%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 1.7%) and Italian being third ( 1.6%).
In the 2011 election to the National Council the most popular party was the SVP which received 30.50% of the vote. The next four most popular parties were the SPS (15.41%), the GLP (12.75%), the FDP (8.49%), and the GPS (7.19%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 27% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 63.3% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 9.7%. In Mettmenstetten about 83.2% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Mettmenstetten has an unemployment rate of 1.3%. As of 2005[update], there were 154 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 54 businesses involved in this sector. 461 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 45 businesses in this sector. 599 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 105 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
The city offers daycare, kindergarten, primary and secondary school. There are 90 kids in the kindergarten, 310 in the primary school and 213 in the secondary school.
It is only 10 minutes driving-distance to A4 highway that connects Zürich with Luzern.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Zürichdeutsches Wörterbuch, 3rd ed. 2015, ISBN 9783038239079, p. 695
- Ortsnamen.ch, ‘Mettmenstetten: Ausspache’
- Mettmenstetten website-Origin of the name and Coat of Arms (in German) accessed 24 July 2009
- Mettmenstetten in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 24-Jul-2009
- Mettmenstetten website-Numbers (in German) accessed 24 July 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mettmenstetten.|
- Official website (in German)