|• Mayor||René Kälin|
|• Total||13.11 km2 (5.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||460 m (1,510 ft)|
|• Density||390/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Aeugst am Albis, Affoltern am Albis, Kappel am Albis, Knonau, Maschwanden, Obfelden, Rifferswil|
Origin of the name
The town took its name from being "In the middle". It was listed as being in the middle of two other locations (the exact identity of the locations have been lost in time). Additionally, people used to overnight at Mettmenstetten when they were traveling between Zurich and Luzern, as this town is about in the middle of the route.
Mettmenstetten has an area of 13.1 km2 (5.1 sq mi). Of this area, 67.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 18.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 13.1% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.1%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
It is located about 10 minutes driving distance from the City of Zug, and 25 minutes from the City of Zurich. Affoltern is about 5 minutes north.
The municipality includes the village of Mettmenstetten, with the two core sections of Ober- and Untermettmenstetten as well as the other sections; Dachlissen, Eigi, Grossholz, Herferswil, Hübscheren, Rossau and Wissenbach. It is located an elevation of 460 m (1,510 ft).
Mettmenstetten has a population (as of 31 December 2018) of 5,094. As of 2007[update], 15% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 5 years the population has grown at a rate of 15%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (92.8%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 1.7%) and Italian being third ( 1.6%).
In the 2015 election to the National Council the most popular party was the SVP which received 35.7% of the vote. The next four most popular parties were the SPS (18.8%), the GLP (9.6%), the FDP (13.2%), and the GPS (5.1%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 23% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 60% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 17%. In Mettmenstetten about 83.2% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Mettmenstetten has an unemployment rate of 1.3%. As of 2018[update], there were 47 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 54 businesses involved in this sector. 521 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 45 businesses in this sector. 939 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 105 businesses in this sector.
The city offers daycare, kindergarten, primary and secondary school. There are 124 kids in the kindergarten, 327 in the primary school and 145 in the secondary school. 
The daycare, called Domino, is located within the school area. The school also has an indoor swimming pool, two indoor sporthalls ("turnhallen") and a large outdoor grass area used mainly for sports. 
It is only 10 minutes driving-distance to A4 highway that connects Zürich with Luzern.
Close to Mettmenstetten lies the private airport Hausen am Albis. . Over 16.000 flight movements take place per year , mostly in the weekends and/or the summer. Although the official flight routes are not positioned over Mettmenstetten, the pilots of the private planes often decide to fly over Mettmenstetten instead. They also fly at a lower altitude then the official recommended height of 300 meters (for populated areas). This increases the noise pollution levels  for the inhabitants of Mettmenstetten and the surrounding villages, leading them to take action .
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Zürichdeutsches Wörterbuch, 3rd ed. 2015, ISBN 9783038239079, p. 695
- Ortsnamen.ch, ‘Mettmenstetten: Ausspache’
- Mettmenstetten website-Origin of the name and Coat of Arms Archived 2009-09-25 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 24 July 2009
- Mettmenstetten in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine accessed 24-Jul-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 23 September 2019
-  (in German) accessed 20 April 2019
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mettmenstetten.|
- Official website (in German)