|Elevation||325 m (1,066 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Mettupalayam is a town in the Coimbatore district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is the second largest town in the Coimbatore District. It's located to the North of the Coimbatore city on the way to Ooty in the foothills of Nilgiri hills. As of 2011, the town had a population of 66,595. Mettupalayam Railway Station is the only Railway Station which still operates Steam Engine Train from Mettupalayam to Ooty.
According to 2011 census, Mettupalayam had a population of 69,213 with a sex-ratio of 1,022 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 6,808 were under the age of six, constituting 3,543 males and 3,265 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 14.76% and 0.08% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 77.11%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 18,423 households. There were a total of 26,595 workers, comprising 147 cultivators, 437 main agricultural labourers, 704 in house hold industries, 23,870 other workers, 1,437 marginal workers, 8 marginal cultivators, 60 marginal agricultural labourers, 92 marginal workers in household industries and 1,277 other marginal workers.
As per the religious census of 2011, Mettupalayam had 69.24% Hindus, 25.65% Muslims, 4.84% Christians, 0.02% Sikhs, 0.15% Jains, 0.04% following other religions and 0.05% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
The Nilgiri Mountain Railway which connects Mettupalayam railway station with Udagamandalam (Ooty) is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Nilgiri Express connects Mettupalayam to capital Chennai via Coimbatore. Mettupalayam is situated at the base of Nilgiri Hills and hence is the starting point for the Ghat Roads. MEMU express special trains are operated between Coimbatore junction and Mettupalayam daily. Coimbatore is 35 km by road from Mettupalayam and the nearest airport is Coimbatore International Airport. There is proposal for a bypass road from Sulur Kangeyampalayam via neelambur for Mettupalayam via odanthurai to Ooty.
National Highway 181 (India) connecting Gundlupete in Karnataka state to Nagapattinam passes through Mettupalyam. State highway SH15 from Erode to Ooty passes through Chittode, Gobichettipalayam, Satyamangalam, Sirumugai, Mettupalayam and Kothagiri. State highway SH80 connects Mettupalayam to Avinashi via Annur.
Places of interest
- Vana Bathrakali Amman temple
- Kurunthamalai Murugan Hill Temple
- Black Thunder Water Theme Park
- Kallaar Park at Ooty Road, Mettupalayam
- Idugampalayam Aanjineyar temple
- Then Tirupathi Temple
- Kumaran Kundru Murugan temple
- Karamadai Ranganadar temple
- Thekkampatti Elephant Camp
- Forest College and Research Institute, Kotagiri Road, Mettupalayam
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mettuppalaiyam, India".
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Mettupalayam". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 10 October 2008.