The town hall of Meurchin
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Laurent Maillard|
|Area1||4.64 km2 (1.79 sq mi)|
|• Density||800/km2 (2,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||62573 /62410|
|Elevation||17–45 m (56–148 ft)
(avg. 26 m or 85 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Meurchin is a former coalmining town, nowadays a farming and light industrial town, 7 miles (11 km) northeast of Lens, at the junction of the D164 and the D165 roads.
|Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates|
Places of interest
- The church of St.Peter, rebuilt along with most of the town, after the First World War.
- The German military cemetery.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Meurchin.|
- A website about Meurchin and environs (in French)
- Official town website (in French)
- Website of the friends of the town of Meurchin (in French)
- Meurchin on the Quid website (in French)
|This Pas-de-Calais geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|