Mewburn Ellis LLP is a limited liability partnership and is one of the UK's largest firms of Chartered Patent Attorneys, European Patent Attorneys, European Trade Mark Attorneys and European Design Attorneys, with offices in London, Bristol, Manchester and Cambridge.
It has around 60 qualified patent and trade mark attorneys, including 40 partners.
The firm of Mewburn Ellis LLP has its roots in the partnership of John Clayton Mewburn and George Beloe Ellis which was formed in the 1860s under the name of Mewburn Ellis & Co. John Mewburn Clayton was a signatory of the Royal Charter granted to the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys in 1891. Since that time, six members of the Ellis family have been partners in the firm, including George Ellis's daughter, Margaret Dixon, who was the first woman to practise as a UK patent agent. The last of the Ellis family to work in the firm retired in 1988, although the firm still bears the name of the founding partners.
Publications and Articles
Patent attorneys from Mewburn Ellis have featured in or written various news articles about the patent attorney profession and IP issues, including in national newspapers such as The Independent  and The Times as well as in scientific journals.
'MewsNews' is Mewburn Ellis's regular IP newsletter.
- http://www.insidecareers.co.uk/__802574D80055D469.nsf/id/7jbkqttden!opendocument. Viewed 8 March 2009
- "The Legal 500 > Mewburn Ellis LLP > London, ENGLAND > What we say". legal500.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Legal500". Archived from the original on 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- http://www.cipa.org.uk/pages/about. Viewed on 13 December 2007
- http://www.mewburn.com/about-us/our-history/. Viewed on 11 August 2016
- "Mewburn Ellis Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys - Resources". mewburn.com. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- http://www.independent.co.uk/student/career-planning/getting-job/patent-attorney-recreate-yourself-as-a-master-of-inventions-417753.html. Viewed on 22 November 2008
- http://www.independent.co.uk/student/postgraduate/why-phd-graduates-are-opting-for-a-life-in-the-fast-lane-464546.html. Viewed on 22 November 2008
- http://www.mewburn.com/upload/library/published-articles/asserting-your-ip-rights/SFA_Article.pdf Viewed on 8 September 2011
- http://www.mewburn.com/upload/library/published-articles/uk-companies-fail-to-invest-in-design/Times_article_050906_6.pdf Viewed on 8 September 2011
- http://www.mewburn.com/upload/library/published-articles/functional-food-patents-beware-potential-pitfalls/Functional%20food%20patents.pdf. Viewed on 8 September 2011