Meyer Corporation is a cookware distributor based in Vallejo, California, United States, whose parent company is Hong Kong based Meyer Manufacturing Co. Ltd. It is the largest cookware distributor in the United States and second largest in the world. The company was founded in 1981. Cookware labels or lines for which Meyer is the parent firm include Circulon, Anolon, NapaStyle, SilverStone, Prestige and BonJour. Meyer owns the license for cookware produced under the Farberware label in addition to producing private label cookware for Macy's and Sur La Table.
The roots of the company began in Hong Kong with aluminum goods manufacturing and changed to cookware beginning in 1971 with the ascension of Stanley K. Cheng as CEO and chief inventor. The name of the firm is a transliteration of the Chinese words 'beautiful' (mei) and 'Asia' (yah). In 1972, the first line of cookware produced by Meyer was sold in London. Marketing distribution centers in Liverpool, England, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, were founded in 1976 and 1980, respectively. Meyer's cookware is manufactured and distributed internationally with factories in China, Thailand and Italy. Cookware lines are stainless steel, hard-anodized aluminum, and non-stick aluminum. The parent manufacturing firm is still based in Hong Kong while the distribution company moved to California in 1992. Revenues for the parent and subsidiary distributor were $287 million (US) for fiscal year 2005.
In January 2018, Mitchell Loring retired as president of the company.
Meyer Corporation developed Circulon in 1984 with the innovation of non-stick cookware bonded to hard-anodized aluminum and tiny grooves in the interior that reduced abrasion of the Teflon surface. The "high-low food release system" was developed and patented by Stanley K. Cheng. The development of Anolon was to satisfy the marketplace which desired thicker gauge non-stick pans that were also dishwasher safe. The Anolon technology was not patented and was quickly incorporated by rivals into their own cookware lines.
Brands owned or licensed
- Cake Boss (Reality TV Series starring Buddy Valastro)
- Farberware (licensed by Farberware Licensing Co LLC; administered by Lifetime Brands Inc)
- Meyer Commercialware
- Silverstone (a non-stick plastic coating made by DuPont)
- Tools Of The Trade (licensed by Macy's Inc)
- KitchenAid (licensed by Whirlpool Corporation)
Brands previously owned or licensed
- Kitchen Aid cookware (Brand created by Hobart Corporation; brand and appliances owned and made by Whirlpool Corporation)
- "Daifuku Case Study" (PDF). daifuku.com. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "SAM the Straight Answer Ma'am column". Winston-Salem Journal. 2003-03-13. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "Mitchell Loring Retires as President of Meyer Corporation, U.S." giftsanddec.com. 2018-01-11. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- Olivier Said; Chef MikeC. (22 November 2011). Kitchen on Fire!: Mastering the Art of Cooking in 12 Weeks (or Less). Da Capo Press. pp. 434–. ISBN 978-0-7382-1453-5.