|Studio album by System of a Down|
|Released||May 17, 2005|
|Recorded||June – November 2004|
(Los Angeles, California, U.S.)
Akademie Mathematique of Philosophical Sound Research Studios
(Los Angeles, California, U.S.)
|System of a Down chronology|
|Singles from Mezmerize|
|Entertainment Weekly||A− |
|Drowned In Sound||(8/10)|
|BBC Music||Very Favorable |
Mezmerize is the fourth studio album by the band System of a Down. It is the first half of the Mezmerize/Hypnotize double album. It was released on May 17, 2005, six months before Hypnotize, on Columbia Records.
Mezmerize was lauded by critics, scoring 85 at Metacritic based on 19 reviews. The album debuted at number one in at least 12 countries, including the US Billboard 200, with 453,000 copies, and has since been certified Platinum by the RIAA. It was chosen as one of Amazon.com's Top 100 Editor's Picks of 2005. The hit single "B.Y.O.B." won a Grammy Award in 2006 for Best Hard Rock Performance.
Despite the time difference between releases, Mezmerize and Hypnotize were recorded within the same time frame. The album features guitarist Daron Malakian sharing most of the vocal work with vocalist Serj Tankian, splitting the vocals at least halfway on many of the tracks.
The Japanese version of the album contains a slightly different mix of "Soldier Side (Intro)" with strings, while the leaked mp3 version of "Cigaro" contains a 4-stick hit intro not present in the retail version. The album artwork is done by the father of guitarist Daron Malakian, Vartan Malakian.
The single "Lost in Hollywood" was also used by YouTuber "PewDiePie" in some of his videos as his outro song from October 2012 to January 2013.
|1.||"Soldier Side - Intro"||Malakian||Malakian||1:03|
|2.||"B.Y.O.B." ("Bring Your Own Bombs")||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian||4:15|
|6.||"This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm on This Song"||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian||2:08|
|9.||"Sad Statue"||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian||3:25|
|10.||"Old School Hollywood"||Malakian||Malakian||2:56|
|11.||"Lost in Hollywood"||Malakian, Tankian||Malakian||5:20|
- System of a Down
- Serj Tankian – vocals, keyboards, guitars, graphic design, string arrangement
- Daron Malakian – vocals, guitars, production, graphic design
- Shavo Odadjian – bass, backing vocals, graphic design
- John Dolmayan – drums, percussion, graphic design
- Soldier Side - Intro: Daron Malakian and Serj Tankian (both main).
- B.Y.O.B: Tankian (main), Malakian (second voice).
- Revenga: Tankian (main), Malakian (second voice).
- Cigaro: Tankian (main), Malakian (second voice).
- Radio/Video: Malakian and Tankian (both main).
- This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm on this Song: Tankian.
- Violent Pornography: Malakian and Tankian (both main).
- Question!: Tankian (main), Malakian (backing vocals).
- Sad Statue: Malakian and Tankian (both main).
- Old School Hollywood: Malakian and Tankian (both main).
- Lost in Hollywood: Malakian (main) and Tankian (second voice).
Sales and certifications
- Loftus, Johnny. "Mezmerize: System of a Down". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- Sinclair, Tom (May 16, 2005). "Mezmerize Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- Arnold, Chuck (2005-06-27). "Picks and Pans Review: System of a Down (Mezmerize)". People. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Begrand, Adrien (2005-05-25). "System Of A Down: Mezmerize". PopMatters. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- Fricke, David (2005-06-02). "System of a Down: Mezmerize". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2007-04-28. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Pemberton, Rollie (2005-07-22). "System Of A Down: Mezmerize". Stylus Magazine. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- System Of A Down Mezmerizes Music Fans Worldwide
- Moss, Corey (2007). "System of a Down: Doubleheader". MTV. Retrieved 2015-01-07.
- Finnish charts
- Polish charts
- "Austrian album certifications – System of a Down – Mezmerize" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter System of a Down in the field Interpret. Enter Mezmerize in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2005 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2007". Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Brazilian album certifications – System of a Down – Mezmerize" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Brazilian album certifications – System of a Down – System of a Down" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – System of a Down – Mezmerize". Music Canada.
- "System Of A Down" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "French album certifications – System of a Down – Mezmerize" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Les Albums Or :" (in French). Infodisc.fr. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (System Of A Down; 'Mezmerize')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Irish album certifications – System Of A Down – Mezmerize". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "New Zealand album certifications – System of a Down – Mezmerize". Recorded Music NZ.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (System Of A Down; 'Mezmerize')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "American album certifications – System of a Down – Mezmerize". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Stand Up by Dave Matthews Band
|Billboard 200 number-one album
May 29, 2005 – June 4, 2005
Out of Exile by Audioslave
Il Divo by Il Divo
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
May 30 – June 5, 2005
Monkey Business by The Black Eyed Peas