|Role||unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV)|
|National origin||Russian Federation|
|Status||Cancelled being made into new UCAV|
SKAT is a low-observable, subsonic craft meant to carry weapons in two ventral weapons bays large enough for missiles such as the Kh-31, powered by a single Klimov RD-5000B turbofan engine, a variant of the RD-93.
Possible roles include the suppression and attack of enemy air defenses. The first version of Skat to fly is planned to be piloted in order to meet Russian flight regulations. A number of aerodynamic configurations have been wind tunnel-tested, including with small twin fins. MiG has settled on a tailless configuration.
The single-engine subsonic design has an 11.5 meter (37.7 ft) wingspan, and is 10.25 meters (33.6 ft) long. The UCAV has a maximum takeoff weight of ten tons, with a maximum speed of 800 kilometers per hour (497 mph) at low altitude. It is intended to carry a combat load of up to two tons, with a combat radius of 2000 km (1240 miles).
As Chief executive officer of RSK "MiG", Sergei Korotkov said to the press earlier, the development of Skat was discontinued. By the decision of Russian Defence Ministry Sukhoi Holding became the new Head Developer of the Strike UCAV project. Still, Skat experience would be used by Sukhoi. RSK "MiG" specialists are expected to work on the new project. On 3 June 2013, MiG signed a research and development contract to build a UCAV, based on the Skat design.
- Crew: none
- Length: 10.25 m (33.6 ft in)
- Wingspan: 11.5 m (37.7 ft in)
- Powerplant: 1 × Klimov RD-5000B, ? kN (? lbf) thrust
- Maximum speed: 800 km/h (497 mph)
- Service ceiling: 12,000 m (39,370 ft)
- Up to 2 tons of weapons in internal bays
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Boeing X-45
- Northrop Grumman X-47
- Lockheed Martin Polecat
- Dassault nEUROn
- BAE Taranis
- Phantom Ray
- DRDO AURA
- First look at Mig Skat, Aviation Week.
- RAC MiG to design Skat-based unmanned combat air vehicle - Flightglobal.com, June 3, 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MiG Skat.|