MiO products are artificially colored and sweetened with concentrated syrups. Caffeinated variants of the MiO brand are marketed as MiO Energy. This version of the product contains 60 mg of caffeine per serving. All MiO products contain propylene glycol, except those sold in Canada. MiO is listed as containing less than 2% natural flavors. Other listed ingredients are citric acid, propylene glycol, malic acid, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, potassium citrate, Allura Red AC 40, Brilliant Blue FCF 1 and potassium sorbate.
MiO products sold in Canada do not contain propylene glycol. The MiO Energy variant of MiO is not sold in Canada. MiO Electrolytes, however, is available in Canada.
MiO advertising initially centered on The Second City character Sassy Gay Friend, portrayed by comedian-actor Brian Gallivan. Gallivan had already created comedy videos that featured this character in stories from literature or history (such as Romeo & Juliet). He began adding short dialogs about the product into these clips. His slogan for the product was "Flip it. Tip it. Sip it!" In two later "man on the street" style videos, he demonstrates the product to passers-by.
MiO later started an advertisement campaign with the slogan "Make it Yours, Make it MiO". This advertising featured animated animals discussing the product.
- kb (April 12, 2011). "MiO Versus Hint: No Contest", NaturalAsPossibleMom.com.
- Jones, Heather K. (May 3, 2011). "Tuesday Label Crimes: MiO: The Case of the Chemically Enhanced Water Archived 2011-08-17 at the Wayback Machine.", HeaterKJones.com.
- "MiO". Kraftcanada.com. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Zoe Galland. "Kraft MiO ads bring in Second City's 'Sassy Gay Friend'". ChicagoBreakingBusiness.com.
- youtube ad. "Television Advertisement". youtube.com.