Mia Donovan is a Canadian photographer and filmmaker. She is best known for her documentary Inside Lara Roxx released through EyeSteelFilm about 21-year-old Canadian Lara Roxx who in the Spring of 2004, left her hometown Montreal heading to Los Angeles for working in pornography and within two months contracted HIV after shooting an unprotected sex scene with two males. Donovan followed Lara Roxx through 5 years of Roxx's attempt to build a new identity and find hope in the wake of her past. Her film won "Best Documentary on Society and Humanity" at the 2011 Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival and it was runner-up for "Best Feature at 2012 Boston Underground Film Festival.
Donovan received a B.F.A in Art History and Studio Arts from Concordia University in 2001.
Her photographic series 'Stripped' was shown in Montreal in January 2005. The series was an artistic reflection of commodification in the sex industry. She was picked as one of the "Noize Makers 2001" by Montreal arts weekly Montreal Mirror.
- 2011: Inside Lara Roxx (director, co-producer, writer)
- James Adams (3 February 2012). "Inside Lara Roxx: The deadly price of porn fame". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- Christine Estima (8 May 2012). "Hot Docs interview: Mia Donovan, director of Inside Lara Roxx". TheGATE.ca. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- Brian McKechnie (5 May 2012). "Interview: Filmmaker Mia Donovan looks at what's 'Inside Lara Roxx'". Criticize This, Canada. Archived from the original on 4 March 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- http://www.gzdoc.com/en_2011/main.asp?top_menu_id=N9R83D59L9E97Z20070731150429CATE&category_id=IJ4KL730Z62ZLY20111206172526CATE[permanent dead link]
- 2012 Boston Underground Film Festival: Award Winners (2 April 2012)