Miami Norland Senior High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Miami Norland Senior High School|
|Miami Gardens, Florida
|School district||Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gray|
|School hours||7:20 AM - 2:20 PM|
Miami Norland Senior High School is a secondary school located at 1193 NW 193th St Norwood neighborhood of Miami Gardens, Florida. The school's name came from it being the northernmost school in Miami-Dade County, following after North Dade Jr./Sr. High School. As of 1998 Dr. Michael M. Krop High School is the northernmost school in Miami-Dade County.
Miami Norland opened its doors to students in 1958 as an all-white school, taking in 50 students in grades 7-12. Once Norland Junior High School opened across the street, grades 7-9 moved there. Miami Norland continued to have three grade levels (10th, 11th and 12th) until 1988, when grade 9 was added.
The first principal of Miami Norland, Foster Hunter, guided the school from its inception into the mid-1970s. For more than a decade, it was an all-white school; this changed in 1969, when all schools in Dade County were court-ordered to desegregate.
The original buildings of Miami Norland still remain. These include the first two main rooms, wood stop and drop, metal in and out lab, art wing, auditorium, band room, annexes, and chorus room. In 1964, a library wing was added, giving Miami Norland one of the largest libraries in the Miami-Dade public school system. The main office was remodeled and a science wing was added in 1996. A new gymnasium was added in 2006, and the old gym was converted to a two-story classroom building which included a dance studio, allowing the school to add a dance program to its academy programs.
The school now offers an Academy of Fine Arts, Hospitality and Tourism and Teaching magnet programs.
Even in Florida's oppressive heat, there was no air conditioning at the school until the late 1970s.
Miami Norland Senior High is the sister school by original blueprints of Miami Palmetto Senior High in Southwest Dade County.
Miami Norland was graded an "A" school in December 2012.
Miami Norland is 95% Black, 4% Hispanic and 1% non-white Hispanic.
Students are required to wear school uniform shirts in maroon, white or gray. They may wear solid maroon, gray, khaki, or black pants or shorts.
- 2013 (AMERICHEER International Champions) (1st place)
- 2013 (Beach Battle Cheer Competition) (2nd place)
- 2015 (AMERICHEER International Champions)
- 2015 (FCDA) (1st place) - This was the first time boys were on the team in 55 years.
- Back-to-back State Champions
- FHSAA State Champions 2009 (2010 undefeated 32-0)
- 2012 FHSAA State Runner-Up
- 2006 FHSAA State Champions
- 2008 FHSAA State Champions
- 2012 FHSAA State Champions
- 2013 FHSAA State Champions
- 2014 FHSAA State Champions
- 2015 FHSAA State Champions
- 2002 FHSAA 6A State Champions
- 2010 FHSAA 3A State Runner-Up
- 2011 FHSAA 5A State Champions (undefeated 15-0)
- Antwan Barnes, current NFL outside linebacker free agent
- Dwayne Bowe, current NFL wide receiver free agent
- Antonio Brown, current NFL wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Ereck Flowers, current NFL offensive tackle New York Giants
- Rachel Jeantel, star witness in the Trayvon Martin case
- Duke Johnson, current NFL running back for the Cleveland Browns
- Gil Patterson, former professional baseball player, New York Yankees
- Ian Richards, County Court Judge of Florida's 17th Judicial Circuit
- Randy Shannon, football coach at the University of Florida; former Miami Hurricanes' head football coach
- Darrin Smith, former NFL linebacker who won two Super Bowl rings with the Dallas Cowboys
- Thomasina White, US Postal Carrier and Master Cosmetologist in Atlanta, GA
- Tourek Williams, current NFL defensive lineman for the San Diego Chargers
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Bramson, Seth. From Farms and Fields to the Future: The Incredible History of North Miami Beach. Arcadia Publishing, June 1, 2012. ISBN 1614236410, 9781614236412. Google Books PT 125. "[...]and then on to North Miami Beach Senior High,[...]or Dr. Michael Krop Senior High,[...]to complete their secondary educations. (Prior to the opening of NMB and Krop, North Miami Beach's high school-age students went to North Miami or Norland High Schools.)"
- Dress Code. Miami Norland High School. Retrieved on September 28, 2009.
- Miami Herald 3/1/08 page 12d
- Miami Norland High School's official website
- Miami-Dade County public schools
- Alce, A. et al. (May 16, 1998) Demonstration Turns Violent at Norland High. The Miami Herald, page 1A
- Walters, S. (April 18, 1999) No Peace at Norland. The Miami Herald, page 1B
- Samuels, R. (February 3, 2007) Jesse Jackson delivers message of hope to kids. The Miami Herald, page 6B