Corrie performing with Franz Ferdinand in 2018
|Birth name||Julian Victor Corrie|
|Born||20 June 1985|
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
|Associated acts||Franz Ferdinand, Maple Leaves|
Julian Victor Corrie (born 20 June 1985), better known by his stage name Miaoux Miaoux, is an English producer, musician and songwriter based in Glasgow, Scotland. He is signed to Chemikal Underground Records, who have released his albums Light of the North and School of Velocity. Prior to his solo career Corrie was a member of the Glasgow-based band Maple Leaves.
Corrie is currently a member of Scottish indie rock band Franz Ferdinand and has created remixes for CHVRCHES, Belle & Sebastian and Lindstrom, amongst others. Corrie plays all the instruments on recordings himself, and performs live with drummer Liam Chapman (Prehistoric Friends, Quickbeam, Friends in America) and bassist Liam Graham.
Early life and education
Corrie was born in Nottingham, England. He spent his early childhood in Peru, where his father worked. Corrie studied the piano from a young age, and was introduced by his older brother to sample-based music, including Portishead and the Propellerheads. He completed the Tonmeister degree at the University of Surrey.
After graduation, Corrie took up a placement at BBC Scotland in Glasgow, where he worked as a sound engineer until 2016.
Light of the North was recorded and produced by Corrie himself, and mixed by Paul Savage at Chem 19 Recording Studios. It was nominated for the Scottish Album of the Year Award in 2013. The album artwork is by James Houston, a frequent collaborator of Corrie's, particularly in Polybius, a short for Channel 4's Random Acts, which Houston directed. Corrie produced the single "I.D.L.U" by Bdy_Prts, a project by Jill O'Sullivan of Sparrow and the Workshop and Jenny Reeve of Strike the Colours which was released on 3 March 2014. He has worked alongside comedian Robert Florence, producing tracks for the television show Burnistoun. Florence's production company, Bold Yin Productions, also produced award-winning artist Rachel Maclean's short Germs for Channel 4, for which Corrie provided music and sound design. Corrie has continued to work on further projects with Rachel Maclean as well as the National Theatre of Scotland.
On 19 May 2017, it was announced that Corrie had joined Franz Ferdinand along with fellow new member Dino Bardot as the band's new keyboard and synthesizer player.
as Miaoux Miaoux
- Rainbow Bubbles, released 20 August 2007, Koshka Records
- Light of the North, released 8 June 2012, Chemikal Underground Records
- School of Velocity, released June 2015
- Blooms, released 16 March 2010, Test Pilot Music Ltd
- The Japanese War Effort/Fox Gut Daata/Miaoux Miaoux/Wounded Knee Split EP, released 6 December 2010, Gerry Loves Records
- Autopilot, released 12 October 2012, Chemikal Underground Records
- "Hey Sound", released 23 May 2011, Eli and Oz
- "Better for Now", released 15 June 2012, Chemikal Underground Records
With Franz Ferdinand
With Maple Leaves
- Kirsty/Easyspeak, released 9 July 2009
- Tapestry, released 2 June 2010
- Golden Ether, released 20 October 2010, Bubblegum Records
- Threads, released 14 February 2011 (includes tracks remixed by Miaoux Miaoux)
- Robots, released 27 May 2012
- Arab Strap, The First Big Weekend of 2016
- CHVRCHES, The Mother We Share, The Mother We Share (single), released 13 September 2013 (vinyl only), National Anthem Records
- Belle & Sebastian, Your Cover's Blown, The Third Eye Centre (album), released 26 August 2013, Rough Trade
- Panamah, Born Af Natten, Sounds of Copenhagen Volume 11 (compilation album), released 19 August 2013, Good Tape Records
- I am Dive, The Cliff, Driftwood (album), released 16 June 2013, Foehn Records
- Chopin, 2 Nocturnes op.55: no.1 in F minor, Variations of Chopin (remix compilation album), released 13 May 2013, too many fireworks records
- Lindstrom, Rà-àkõ-st, promotional release for Smalhans (album) released 17 October 2012, The Quietus
- Human Don't Be Angry, 1985, 1985 (single), released 18 May 2012, Chemikal Underground Records
- Discopolis, Zenithobia, Zenithobia (Remixes) (EP), released 5 March 2012, KIDS Records
- Adam Stafford, Shot-down You Summer Wannabes, Fire & Theft (single), released 22 August 2011, Wise Blood Industries
- Futuristic Retro Champions, May The Forth, Love and Lemonade (album), released 4 April 2011, Everything Flows
- Japanese War Effort, Ribbit, The Japanese War Effort/Fox Gut Daata/Miaoux Miaoux/Wounded Knee Split EP (EP), released 6 December 2010, Gerry Loves Records
- Zoey Van Goey, Song to the Embers, Foxtrot Vandals (single), released 15 October 2007, Zoey Van Goey
- Glasgowmusic.co.uk - Feature : "10 questions with...Miaoux Miaoux". Glasgow Music.
- "Review of Miaoux Miaoux - Light of the North". BBC.
- "Miaoux Miaoux: School Of Velocity (Chemikal Underground)". Herald Scotland. 31 May 2015.
- "Maple Leaves - Captain's Rest, Glasgow, Wed 20 Oct". 2 November 2010.
- "Belle and Sebastian - Your Cover's Blown (Miaoux Miaoux Mix)". Clash Magazine. Robin Murray, 27 August 2013
- "Miaoux Miaoux: "I'm obsessed with writing perfect pop songs" - The Skinny".
- "Album Review: Miaoux Miaoux - Light Of The North".
- Album reviews: Bobby Womack | Miaoux Miaoux | Folk | Jazz | Classical - The Scotsman
- "Miaoux Miaoux – Light of the North". The Skinny
- "Miaoux Miaoux - Light of the North" The Line Of Best Fit.
- "Miaoux Miaoux - Light of the North". The List.
- Miaoux Miaoux (19 May 2017). "Excited to announce I've joined the bold @Franz_Ferdinand as synth / keys / guitar player". Twitter. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- http://thefourohfive.com. "Miaoux Miaoux - Light Of The North".
- "Music review: Miaoux Miaoux | SCO | Babes in Toyland". The Scotsman 1 June 2015.
- "Review: Miaoux Miaoux - Autopilot EP". Resident Advisor.