This article is about the economist. For the computer scientist, see Michael H. Albert
||This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (June 2015)
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015)
Michael Albert speaking at New York's annual Left Forum, 2007.
April 8, 1947 |
||Moving Forward: Program for a Participatory Economy
Michael Albert (born April 8, 1947) is an American activist, economist, speaker, and writer.
In 1965, Albert was a student at MIT. He became a member of Students for a Democratic Society and opposed the Vietnam War. Alberts was also a member of the group, the Weather Underground. He was expelled from MIT, in January 1970, for disruptive behaviour.
In 1991, Albert co-authored, with Robin Hahnel, The Political Economy of Participatory Economics. This outlined their ideas for participatory economics and included an economic model of the system. Doug Brown, writing in the Journal of Economic Issues said their alternative to markets was novel, but mainly of academic interest.
Albert helped create the International Organization for a Participatory Society founded in 2012.
He is founder of Z Net and Z Magazine. He co-founded South End Press.
Albert identifies himself as a market abolitionist and believes they should be replaced with participatory economics.
- What Is To Be Undone?, (1974)
- Stop the Killing Train: Radical Visions for Radical Change, (1994)
- Thinking Forward: Learning To Conceptualize Economic Vision, (1997)
- Moving Forward: Program for a Participatory Economy, (2001)
- The Trajectory of Change: Activist Strategies for Social Transformation, (2002)
- Parecon: Life After Capitalism, (2004) Verso ISBN 9781844675050
- Thought Dreams: Radical Theory for the 21st Century, (2004)
- Realizing Hope: Life beyond Capitalism, (2006)
- Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life After Capitalism, A Memoir, (2007) Seven Stories Press ISBN 9781583227428
- Occupy Theory (2013)
- Occupy Vision (2013)
- Occupy Strategy (2013)
- Unorthodox Marxism, with R. Hahnel (1978)
- Socialism Today and Tomorrow, with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Marxism and Socialist Theory, with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Liberating Theory, with Holly Sklar, Lydia Sargent, Mel King, Robin Hahnel, Noam Chomsky and Leslie Cagan (1986)
- Quiet Revolution in Welfare Economics, with R. Hahnel (1990)
- Looking Forward, with R. Hahnel (1990)
- The Political Economy of Participatory Economics, with R. Hahnel (1991) Princeton University Press ISBN 9780691003849