Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge
|Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge|
Japanese cover art
|Developer(s)||Bullet Proof Software
|Publisher(s)||Bullet Proof Software|
Multiplayer (up to 2 players)
Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge (マイケル・アンドレッティ インディーカーチャレンジ?) is an arcade-style racing video game that is sponsored by Michael Andretti. It was released exclusively for the SNES in North America and Japan.
The game features Champ Car (now called IndyCar) action. There are many modes of play including single race, season mode, and the option to disable the sound and/or music. The season mode consists of 16 tracks. One or two players can join in on the action.
Prior to each race, the player is given the option to adjust tire pressure, down force, and gear ratio. Higher tire pressure reduces grip on the road but increases acceleration and top speed. Higher down force does the reverse. Higher gear ratio increases top speed but reduces acceleration.
In their review, GamePro described the game as solidly designed, with an excellent sensation of speed, meticulous recreation of real life racing tracks, and an impressive replay feature with multiple camera views. However, they opined that the inability to make other cars crash leaves the game devoid of drama. The two sports reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly gave it scores of 91% and 82%, praising the graphics, sounds, and playability.
- "Game History" (in Japanese). Genki. Archived from the original on January 24, 1998. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- "Release information". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
- "Basic game overview". MobyGames. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Team EGM: Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge". Electronic Gaming Monthly. Ziff Davis (63): 149. October 1994.
- "Another Day at the Track for Andretti". GamePro (66). IDG. January 1995. p. 122.