Michael Appleby (politician)
|Political party||Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party|
|Residence||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Occupation||Lawyer, cannabis activist|
Appleby is a human rights lawyer with a B.A. in politics and English, and an M.A. in Administrative Law, Taxation and Trusts, and Constitutional Law. He has taught Law at various universities around New Zealand and Australia.
In addition to his legal career, Appleby was the leader of the Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party from its foundation in 1996 until 2013. This small political party is dedicated to the relaxation or repeal of laws against the use of cannabis and has never been represented in Parliament.
Appleby has stood as his party's candidate in the Wellington Central electorate since its inception in 1996. His best result was in the 1999 election where he gained third place, aided by the fact that most major candidates had pulled out to support either incumbent Richard Prebble or challenger Marian Hobbs. He came fifth in the 2011 election. He later represented the Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party in the 2013 Ikaroa-Rāwhiti by-election.
Appleby stood unsuccessfully for the Wellington City Council in October 2004. He ran again for the Wellington City Council in the October 2013 local government elections, where he placed ninth in the Lambton Ward and was not elected.
- Broun, Britton; Newton, Kate (28 April 2010). "Drug swoop targets national shop chain". The Dominion Post. Fairfax New Zealand. Archived from the original on 14 December 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2010.
- "Candidate - Michael Appleby". wellington.govt.nz. Wellington City Council. Archived from the original on 25 March 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Elder, Vaughan (14 October 2013). "Dunedin man elected to lead cannabis party". Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Official Count Results -- Wellington Central". Elections New Zealand. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party launch By-Election campaign". Scoop.co.nz. 4 June 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Farrar, David (23 October 2004). "Full Wellington City Council results". Kiwiblog. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Michael Appleby". Vote.co.nz. Local Government New Zealand. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Lambton Ward". Wellington City Council. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- Candidate profile for the 2013 Wellington City Council election
- Candidate profile on vote.co.nz for the 2013 Wellington City Council election
|This article about a New Zealand politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Zealand law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|