Michael Hancock (Colorado politician)
|45th Mayor of Denver|
July 18, 2011
|Preceded by||Bill Vidal|
|Born||1969 (age 47–48)
Fort Hood, Texas, U.S.
|Alma mater||Hastings College
University of Colorado Denver
Michael B. Hancock (born 1969) is the 45th and current mayor of Denver, Colorado. He was sworn in on July 18, 2011 after defeating Chris Romer in a runoff election on June 7, 2011. He was easily reelected with no significant opposition in 2015.
He is Denver's second African-American mayor after Wellington Webb.
Born in Fort Hood, Texas, Hancock moved with his family to Denver as an infant. He and his twin sister are the youngest of ten children. According to a DNA analysis performed on his behalf, he descends mainly from Cameroon slaves.
He graduated from Denver's Manual High School (1987) and earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Hastings College in Nebraska (1991). He also earned a Masters of Arts degree in public administration management from the University of Colorado Denver.
At the time he was elected Mayor, Hancock was in his second term as a member of the Denver City Council. During his tenure on the City Council, he served two terms as Council president, the last ending in 2008.
Hancock and former Colorado State Senator Peter Groff co-wrote the book, Standing in the Gap: Leadership for the 21st Century, published in 2004.
Michael Hancock is married to actress and vocalist Mary Louise Lee. They have 3 children.
- "Michael Hancock - Elections Colorado Profile". Denver Post.
- Meyer, Jeremy P. (2011-07-18). "Michael Hancock is sworn in as Denver's 45th Mayor". Denver Post. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Michael Hancock wins Denver Mayoral runoff election".
- Jon Murray (5 May 2015). "Denver Mayor Michael Hancock coasts to re-election; surprise in auditor's race". Denver Post. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- About Counc. Michael B. Hancock Archived July 17, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Cameroonian-Americans Discover Ancestry Lost in Slave Trade Posted by Irene Zih Fon, Reporter. Archived May 21, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Michael Booth (7 April 2011). "Denver mayoral candidate profile: Michael Hancock running on reputation, enthusiasm". Denver Post. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Michael Hancock's Bio". 7NEWS. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Hastings College announces graduating class". Scottsbluff Star-Herald. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
The Honorable Michael B. Hancock, mayor of Denver and a 1991 Hastings College alumnus, challenged HC’s 126th graduating class to be themselves, even if that means being out of step with others.
- "Hancock for Denver – About Michael". hancockfordenver.com. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
Michael is a graduate of Manual High School (Class of 1987), where he served as class president and played wide receiver and safety for the Manual Thunderbolts.
- "Hodges begins national leadership program in Colorado". MinnPost. 30 January 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
Others, besides Hodges and Mack, in this, the tenth Rodel Fellowship class:... Denver Mayor Michael Hancock
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Hancock (Colorado politician).|