July 27, 1934|
New York, New York, United States
|Education||New York University (B.S, M.D)|
|Known for||Testimony at the O. J. Simpson trial · Investigations of the John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King assassinations|
Albert Einstein College of Medicine|
Albany Medical College
New York University
New York Law School
Michael M. Baden (born July 27, 1934) is an American physician and board-certified forensic pathologist known for his work investigating high-profile deaths and as the host of HBO's Autopsy. He is the Forensic Science Contributor for FOX News Channel and was a frequent guest on Fox News's late-night satire program Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld where he was known as the Death Correspondent. Baden has been author or co-author of more than 80 professional articles and books on aspects of forensic medicine and two popular non-fiction books "Unnatural Death, Confessions of a Medical Examiner" and "Dead Reckoning, the New Science of Catching Killers." He is also the author, with his wife, attorney Linda Kenney Baden, of two recent forensic thrillers, "Remains Silent" and "Skeleton Justice."
Education and personal life
He is married to Linda Kenney Baden, who served as one of Phil Spector's main attorneys during his capital murder trial and replaced Bruce Cutler after his withdrawal from the proceedings. They have four children.
Baden was the chief medical examiner of the City of New York from 1978 to 1979. He was chairman of the House Select Committee on Assassinations' Forensic Pathology Panel that investigated the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
- Giving testimony at the trial of O.J. Simpson.
- Investigating the remains of Czar Nicholas II and family members.
- Autopsy-investigation in the Ron Settles case.
- Sid Vicious's death.
- Claus von Bülow criminal trial.
- John Belushi's death.
- Lisa McPherson's death.
- As a defense witness in Phil Spector's murder trial. He was reportedly paid $250,000. Baden's wife was legal co-counsel for Spector at the time.
- Richard Kuklinski's death.
- Kathleen Savio's death.
- Sergeant Evan Vela's court martial.
- Gathering evidence against Byron De La Beckwith, who was facing his third trial for murder in the death of Medgar Evers. De La Beckwith was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Conducted autopsy of civil-rights lawyer and Jackson, Mississippi mayor Chokwe Lumumba, determining his cause of death as an aortic aneurism.
- Conducted autopsy of Michael Brown.
- conducted a private autopsy on Shannan Gilbert
- Consulted on the autopsy of John Sheridan, after what the police said was his murder-suicide death with his wife. Baden concluded an intruder was more likely responsible.
- On June 11, 2009, it was reported that Baden was hired by the family of the late actor David Carradine to investigate the cause of Carradine's death in a Bangkok hotel room. According to press reports, Baden's initial conclusion is that Carradine's death was not the result of suicide.
Hired to perform a private autopsy on former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez following his suicide on Apr. 19, 2017.
Baden maintains a private forensic pathology consulting practice and was the former Chief Forensic Pathologist for the New York State Police.
- "Bio - Baden, Michael M. - 1934".
- Ask Dr. Baden. HBO. URL: https://web.archive.org/web/20080404163413/http://www.hbo.com/autopsy/baden/bio.html. Accessed on April 8, 2008.
- Baden Michael M. New York State Education Department (Office of the Professions). URL: http://www.nysed.gov/coms/op001/opscr2?profcd=60&plicno=085329. Accessed on: April 9, 2008.
- The Phil Spector Trial: We Watch Court TV So You Don't Have To. rollingstone.com. https://web.archive.org/web/20090525090813/http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/15/the-phil-spector-trial-we-watch-court-tv-so-you-dont-have-to-36. Accessed on April 8, 2008.
- "Evaluation of the medical, pathological and related evidence pertaining to the death of President John F. Kennedy". Appendix to Hearings before the Select Committee on Assassinations of the U.S. House of Representatives. VII. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office. March 1979. p. 73.
- Biography: Dr. Michael M. Baden. practicalhomicide.com. URL: https://web.archive.org/web/20080410130428/http://www.practicalhomicide.com/bio/bioBADEN.htm. Accessed on April 8, 2008.
- Lisa Mcpherson Estate's Reply To Defendants' Frye Challenge To Cockroach Evidence. whyaretheydead.net. URL: https://web.archive.org/web/20080830020727/http://www.whyaretheydead.net/lisa_mcpherson/legal/bugs/index.html. Accessed on: April 8, 2008.
- Outrageous. truthinjusticefiles.blogspot.com. March 1, 2008. URL: http://truthinjusticefiles.blogspot.com/2008/03/outrageous.html. Accessed on: April 10, 2008.
- Moore S. G.I. Tells of Ordering Unarmed Iraqi's Death. New York Times. February 9, 2008. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/world/middleeast/09iraq.html. Accessed on: April 18, 2008.
- Saying goodbye and thank you to the ‘judicial genius’ Chokwe Lumumba | New York Amsterdam News: The new Black view
| New York City Chief Medical Examiner
Elliot M. Gross