Michael John Berryman
September 4, 1948
Michael John Berryman (born September 4, 1948) is an American character actor. Berryman was born with hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia, a rare condition characterized by the absence of sweat glands, hair, and fingernails; his unusual physical appearance has allowed Berryman to make a career out of portraying characters in horror movies and B movies. He came to prominence with his roles in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest in 1975 and The Hills Have Eyes in 1977. He has appeared in several movies and television shows, including Star Trek and The X-Files.
Berryman's father was a US Naval surgeon and was deployed to the Hiroshima fallout zone in the wake of the atomic bombing.
Berryman played Pluto in Wes Craven's 1977 horror film The Hills Have Eyes and the 1985 sequel The Hills Have Eyes Part II. He has also made appearances in the science fiction and fantasy movies My Science Project (1985), Weird Science (1985), Armed Response (1986), Evil Spirits (1990), The Guyver (1991), and Brutal (2007). He appeared in the 1975 Academy Award-winning drama One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. His time on set for The Hills Have Eyes proved difficult for him, since, during the 4-month shoot, temperatures in the desert routinely surpassed 100 degrees Fahrenheit and, without sweat glands, he had to take special precautions to avoid suffering heatstroke.
He had a role in The Crow (1994) as "The Skull Cowboy", Eric Draven's guide to the land of the living. Berryman's scenes were cut from the original theatrical release, but can be found on some DVD releases under "Deleted Scenes".
He has appeared in Star Trek and some episodes of The X-Files. He appeared in the 1985 Mötley Crüe video for "Smokin' In the Boys Room", as well as the introduction to the band's song "Home Sweet Home". He also portrayed the devil in two episodes of Highway to Heaven: "The Devil and Jonathan Smith" (1985) and "I Was a Middle-Aged Werewolf" (1987).
Berryman is a popular draw at genre conventions, such as the 2002 Horrorfind convention in Baltimore, Maryland, and the 2007 Eerie Horror Film Festival in Erie, Pennsylvania. He also appeared in 2001 and 2002 at the Horrorfind convention in Baltimore, Maryland and in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on June 7 and 8 attending as a guest of "The Milwaukee County Massacre", a horror film convention and music festival. Berryman appeared at the "Scarefest" convention in Lexington, Kentucky, and at the Spooky Empire convention in Orlando, Florida on October 17–19, 2008. He appeared in Roseville, Minnesota at Crypticon 2008 for "A November to Dismember" on November 14–16, 2008 for the show's third year.
Berryman starred in the British-Canadian horror film Below Zero (2012), directed by Justin Thomas Orstensen. He was also a special guest at the third annual San Antonio Horrific Film Fest in August 2010, the Cinema Wasteland convention in April 2011 and the Contamination Convention in Missouri in June 2012.
|1978||Nominated||Saturn Award||Best Actor – Horror for The Hills Have Eyes|
|2007||Won||EyeGore Award||Career Contribution in Horror Genre|
- Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975) as Coroner
- One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) as Ellis
- The Hills Have Eyes (1977) as Pluto
- Another Man, Another Chance (1977) as First Bandit
- The Fifth Floor (1978) as Mental Patient
- Co-Ed (1980)
- Deadly Blessing (1981) as William Gluntz
- Likely Stories, Vol. 3 (1983) as Man on television commercial
- Voyage of the Rock Aliens (1984) as Chainsaw
- Invitation to Hell (1984) as Valet
- The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1984) as Pluto
- Weird Science (1985) as Mutant Biker
- Cut and Run (1985) as Quecho
- My Science Project (1985) as Mutant #1
- Armed Response (1986) as F.C.
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) as Starfleet display officer
- The Barbarians (1987) as Dirtmaster
- Off the Mark (1987) as Acme Labs Man
- Kenny Rogers as The Gambler, Part III (1987) as Cpl. Catlett
- Saturday the 14th Strikes Back (1988) as The Mummy
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: "Conspiracy" (1988) as Captain Rixx
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) as Sybok Warrior (uncredited)
- Aftershock (1990) as Queen
- Solar Crisis (1990) as Matthew
- Evil Spirits (1990) as Mr. Balzac
- Far Out Man (1990) as Angry Biker
- The Guyver (1991) as Lisker
- Wizards of the Demon Sword (1991) as Highway Man #1
- Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991) as Pilgrim #1
- Teenage Exorcist (1991) as Herman
- The Secret of the Golden Eagle (1991)
- Tales from the Crypt: "The Reluctant Vampire" (1991) as Rupert Van Helsing
- Little Sister (1992) as Teacher
- Auntie Lee's Meat Pies (1992) as Larry
- The Crow (1994) as The Skull Cowboy (Scenes Deleted)
- Double Dragon (1994) as Maniac Leader
- Spy Hard (1996) as Bus Patron with Oxygen Mask
- Mojave Moon (1996) as Angel
- Gator King (1997) as The Tech
- The Independent (2000) as Himself
- Rebel Yell (2000) as Bouncer (uncredited)
- Two Heads are Better than None (2000) as Chives, the butler
- The Devil's Rejects (2005) as Clevon
- The Absence of Light (2006) as The Seer
- Fallen Angels (2006) as Mort
- Penny Dreadful (2006) as Gas Station Worker
- Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield (2007) as Jack
- Dead Man's Hand (2007) as Gil Wachetta
- Brutal (2007) as Leroy Calhoun
- Brother's War (2009) as Col. Petrov
- Smash Cut (2009) as Philip Farmsworth, Jr.
- Outrage (2009) as Obeah
- Necrosis (2009) as Seymour
- The Tenant (2010) as Arthur Delman
- Satan Hates You (2010) as Mr. Harker
- Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster (2010) as Zombie Head
- Mask Maker (2010) as Fred
- Below Zero (2011) as Gunnar
- Beg (2011) as Clayton Starks
- The Family (2011) as William
- The Lords of Salem (2012) as Virgil Magnus
- Self Storage (2013) as Trevor
- Army of the Damned (2013) as Crazy Earl
- Apocalypse Kiss (2014) as David Horn
- Erebus (2014) as Jonah Crane
- Kill or Be Killed (2015) as Dr. Pepperdine
- Smothered (2016) as Himself
- Potent Media's Sugar Skull Girls (2016) as Hobbs
- The Evil Within (2017) as Cadaver
- Death House (2017) as Crau
- Z Nation (2017) as The Founder
- ONE PLEASE (2017) as Ice Cream Man
- Violent Starr (2018) as The Godmichael
- Shed of the Dead (2019)
- Jasper (2022) as Jasper Davidson
- Room 9 (upcoming) Jed Bedford
- "Michael Berryman". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-03-07. Retrieved 2017-03-04.
- "A Conversation With Michael Berryman". go.Jimmy.go. 8 March 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- Berryman, Michael. "Interview with Michael Berryman of Hills Have Eyes & Devil's Rejects at Frightmare in the Falls 2019". YouTube.com. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- Miska, Brad (3 March 2010). "Michael Berryman Deep Frozen in 'Below Zero 3D'!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- Johnson, Scott A. (7 July 2010). "San Antonio Horrific Film Festival Wants Your Films!". Dread Central. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Berryman.|