Michael Brudenell-Bruce, 8th Marquess of Ailesbury
Michael Sydney Cedric Brudenell-Bruce, 8th Marquess of Ailesbury (born 31 March 1926), styled Viscount Savernake until 1961 and Earl Bruce between 1961 and 1974, is a British peer. The son of Cedric Brudenell-Bruce, 7th Marquess of Ailesbury and Joan Houlton Salter, he succeeded his father as 8th Marquess on the latter's death on 15 July 1974. The heir apparent to the marquessate, and the other titles, is his eldest son.
He attended Eton College before serving in the Royal Horse Guards. He received an emergency commission as a second lieutenant on 12 August 1945, only three weeks prior to the end of the Second World War. He was promoted to lieutenant on 1 September 1946, and entered the reserves with the same rank on 1 September 1949, with the honorary rank of captain. He relinquished his reserve commission on 1 July 1959, retaining the honorary rank of captain. He became a member of the London Stock Exchange in 1954. He joined the stockbrokers Bragg, Stockdale, Hall and Company in the City of London, which was purchased by Fiske and Company in the 1980s and he became a partner. He became a director of Fiske & Co Ltd and remained so when it went public as Fiske plc.
He was married three times, firstly, to Edwina Sylvia de Winton-Wills, daughter of Lt.-Col. Sir Ernest Edward de Winton-Wills, 4th Baronet Wills of Hazelwood, of the W.D. & H.O. Wills tobacco company, and Sylvia Margaret Ogden, on 17 March 1952. The couple were divorced in 1961. They had three children:
- David Brudenell-Bruce, Earl of Cardigan (born 1952),
- Lady Sylvia Davina Brudenell-Bruce (born 1954) who married Peter M. Gould in 1987, and
- Lady Carina Doune Brudenell-Bruce (born 1956) who married Anthony Le Brun on 26 June 1982.
His second marriage was to Juliet Adrienne Lethbridge Kingsford, daughter of Edward Hilary Lethbridge Kingsford, on 10 July 1963. The couple were divorced in 1974 after having two children:
- Lady Louise Brudenell-Bruce (born 1964) and
- Lady Kathryn Juliet Brudenell-Bruce (born 1965).
Thirdly, he married Caroline Elizabeth Wethered, who was the daughter of Commander Owen Francis MacTier Wethered, on 18 September 1974. The couple were divorced in 1992.
|Ancestors of Michael Brudenell-Bruce, 8th Marquess of Ailesbury|
- "(Supplement) no. 37288". The London Gazette. 28 September 1945. p. 4844. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "(Supplement) no. 37788". The London Gazette. 12 November 1946. p. 5611. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "(Supplement) no. 38710". The London Gazette. 13 September 1949. p. 4385. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "(Supplement) no. 42643". The London Gazette. 6 April 1962. p. 2921. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- http://www.burkespeerage.com/record_to_view.php?book=Burke's Peerage 107th Edition&ref=107th&totalPages=4689&page=187
- ‘AILESBURY’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2007; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Michael Brudenell-Bruce, 8th Marquess of Ailesbury
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Chandos Sydney Cedric Brudenell-Bruce
|Marquess of Ailesbury
|This biography of a marquess in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|