Michael C. McFarland
Rev. Michael C. McFarland, S.J.
|31st President of the College of the Holy Cross|
July 1, 2000 – January 9, 2012
|Preceded by||Frank Vellaccio (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Rev. Phillip L. Boroughs, S.J.|
|Residence||Worcester, Massachusetts, USA|
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
Carnegie Mellon University
Rev. Michael C. McFarland, S.J. (born 1948) was the 31st president of the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. He succeeded Acting President Frank Vellaccio on July 1, 2000, and was succeeded by Rev. Philip Boroughs, S.J.
McFarland received his bachelor's degree in physics from Cornell University in 1969. He gained his Master's degree in 1979 and his doctorate in 1981, both in computer engineering, from Carnegie Mellon University. McFarland joined the Jesuit order in 1975 and studied at the Weston School of Theology and earned a Master's in divinity and Th. M. in social ethics. He was ordained at the College of the Holy Cross in 1984.
McFarland previously worked for AT&T Bell Labs conducting research in computer-aided design of digital systems. Before going to Holy Cross, he was a computer science professor and the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Gonzaga University.
President of the College of the Holy Cross
McFarland succeeded Acting Holy Cross President Frank Vellaccio on July 1, 2000.
In February 2011, he announced his intention to step down from office. McFarland was succeeded in office by Rev. Philip Boroughs, S.J., who was unanimously elected as the 32nd President of Holy Cross by the board of trustees on May 6, 2011.
McFarland has articles published in the Proceedings of the IEEE (the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), the IEEE Transactions on Computers, the IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Formal Methods for System Design, the Journal of Systems and Software, Computer, and Technology and Society. For three years he was an associate editor for the IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems and has participated in numerous program committees for conferences.
In addition to his responsibilities as Holy Cross' president, McFarland serves on the following:
- The Board of Trustees of The Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities
- The Board of Trustees of The University of Scranton in Scranton, Pennsylvania
- The Board of Trustees of St. John's High School in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
- The Board of Trustees of Worcester Catholic Charities
- The Board of Trustees of The Worcester Municipal Research Bureau
- The Board of Directors of the NCAA Division I
- The Advisory Council for PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Chairman of the Nativity School of Worcester, Massachusetts
- Kaku, Upasana (2011-05-07). "Fr. Boroughs to Be President of Holy Cross". The Hoya. Archived from the original on 2012-03-15. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- Valverde, Miriam (2011-05-07). "Holy Cross chooses Philip Boroughs as next president". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- Vyse, Emily (2011-12-07). "Rev. Philip Boroughs President, College of the Holy Cross, 2012-". The Crusader. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "History of the College: College Presidents". Archived from the original on November 25, 2005. Retrieved January 6, 2006.
- "Office of the President". Archived from the original on April 21, 2006. Retrieved April 13, 2006.
Rev. Gerard Reedy, S.J.
| Presidents of College of the Holy Cross
Rev. Philip L. Boroughs
|This biography of an American academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|