Michael C. Reed
Michael C. Reed
Ph.D., Stanford University
Reed first attended Yale University, where he graduated with a bachelor's degree. In 1969 he earned a PhD from Stanford University. Since 1977 he has taught at Duke University, where he is the Bishop-MacDermott Professor of Mathematics.
To clarify the mathematics supporting the theories of quantum mechanics, he joined with Barry Simon to publish Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics in four volumes during the 1970s. In a review, William Faris wrote
- The value of the Reed and Simon volumes is that they provide a bridge between abstract functional analysis and concrete problems of physics. There are no other books with the same scope... The Reed and Simon series is the one place where the recent discoveries of mathematical physics are consolidated. Its volumes are for anyone who has encountered the frustration and fascination of quantum mechanics and wants to begin the serious task of learning the mathematics behind it.
A conference in 2007 Applications of Analysis to Mathematical Biology honored Prof. Reed's sixty-fifth birthday; Prof. Simon was among the invited speakers. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics
- 1972: Vol. I: Functional Analysis MR0493419
- 1975: Vol. II: Fourier Analysis, Self-Adjointness MR0493420
- 1978: Vol. III: Scattering Theory MR529429
- 1977: Vol. IV: Analysis of Operators MR493421
- Faris, William (1980). "Review of Methods of modern mathematical physics, vol. III, Scattering theory by M. Reed and B. Simon; Methods of modern mathematical physics, vol. IV, Analysis of operators by M. Reed and B. Simon". Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society (N.S.). 2 (3): 522–530. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1980-14789-8. MR 1567254.
- M.C. Reed (2004) Why is Mathematical Biology so Hard?
- "Applications of Analysis to Mathematical Biology" (PDF). Duke University.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-06-09.
- Feigenbaum, Mitchell J. "A Review of: Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics by Michael Reed and Barry Simon". Transport Theory and Statistical Physics. 2 (4): 373–375. doi:10.1080/00411457208232549.
- Berberian, Sterling K. (1976). "Review of Funktionalanalysis by Harro Heuser; Geometric functional analysis and its applications by Richard B. Holmes; Functional analysis by M. Reed and B. Simon; Fourier analysis, self-adjointness by M. Reed and B. Simon". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 82 (6): 865–868. doi:10.1090/S0002-9904-1976-14184-5. MR 1566915.