Michael Caruso (musician)
|Birth name||Michael Anthony Caruso|
May 23, 1954 |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, performer|
|Associated acts||Michaels Disciples|
Michael Caruso is an American singer-songwriter, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on May 23, 1954. He studied both music and theater at the world-renowned American Academy of Dramatic Arts in Manhattan then later moved to the West Coast where he was employed as a songwriter for Homegrown Music, Geffen Music Group, Sony Music Publishing and Chrysalis Music. He performed as a solo artist and as Frontman for the band "Michael's Disciples".
Probably Caruso's most well known work remains Love Is co-written with Tonio K, John Keller and recorded by Vanessa L. Williams and Brian McKnight, featured on the Beverly Hills 90210 Soundtrack. It was nominated for a Grammy in the best of R & B vocal category and earned Michael a special citation of achievement from BMI for garnering two million broadcast performances. However, Caruso's musical journey afforded him to collaborate with many other artists and writers: co-writes with Tamara Champlin and Dennis Matkosky for Chris LeDoux's "Runaway Love" (that appeared on Billboard's Country Music's Top 40 Chart) and Rita Coolidge's Shoo Rah. Caruso's most recorded song would surely be "Guns of Love" (written with Randy Sharp and John Keller) performed by Maura O'Connell, the Moffats (who performed this on "Good Morning America" on July 3, 1995 donating proceeds from their release to the families of victims of the Oklahoma City bombings), Pam Rose for her Album " Morpheus", was also featured on Grammy Award Winner Kathy Mattea's Album "Roses", by Caruso himself on his 2011 EP "When The Devil Starts To Pray" and by Randy Sharp on his 2017 Release "Impossible Things".
On "You Won't Get To Heaven Alive" by Tamara Champlin, Caruso was a background vocalist, player on several tracks, co-producer on two, and co-writes included the title track, "Purple Black and Blonde", "St Anne's Wheel" & "Tragic Black" that featured the magic of Nicky Hopkins  on Piano. On Will Champlin's (Finalist for 2013 The Voice) solo projects, Caruso was a co-writer on many songs from "The Goldmine Sessions", his Self Titled "Will Champlin" CD, and his EP "Killing Me With Twilight". He collaborated on Bill Champlin's (formerly of Chicago) most critically acclaimed Solo Album "No Place Left To Fall"; again Michael wrote the title track (with Bill and Tamara Champlin) and the barn burner "Tuggin' on Your Sleeve" (written with Bill Champlin and Will Champlin). Caruso also co-wrote with Joan Jett and Randy Cantor a cut featuring Joan Jett & the Blackhearts for the Days of Thunder (soundtrack) entitled "Long Live The Night". Later, again as a song writer, he attracted Music Row's attention with Bekka Bramlett "What's on My Mind" (another Caruso, T. Champlin & D. Matkosky collaboration).
In Episode 7 of the 2011 Season of Single Ladies on VH1, Lori Michael's performed the Michael Caruso & Tamara Champlin's haunting ballad, "Pretty When She Cries", that had previously been featured on her CD "Living My Life Out Loud"  released in 2008.
Michael Caruso's EP "When The Devil Starts To Pray" was a mix of folk, pop, Celtic, rock and alternative music. The co-writers and musicians involved in the project were some of the industries greats: Randy Sharp; Trey Bruce, Roy Braverman, Tamara Champlin, Jeff Paris, Glenn Goss, TJ McFarland, Dennis Matkosky; Michael St.Thomas, and Moon Calhoun. A film short, Sunshine Deprivation Blues featured one of the EP's songs "Tell Me What You Will" (sharing vocals with Glenn Goss). Caruso released the singles "True Love's Tears" (Caruso/Sharp) in 2014, "Good When You're Gone" (Caruso/Paris/Kravitz) in 2015 and "What A Day" (Caruso/Rydell) in 2016.
In addition to collaborations with influential artists as Lita Ford, Terri Nunn, Vixen, and Michael LeCompt, Caruso has also worked with the legendary Sammy Cahn, Eric Bazilian, Paul Williams, Dave Berg and Tom Keane. He continues to compose, perform and explore new ways to connect to our world and to his audience.
- "(Only Fools) At War With Love" was Caruso's first writer's cut on RCA Records by Artist Darcus Speed on her self titled Album "Darcus" (Released 1977)
- "I'm Better" from Jeff Paris's "Race To Paradise" for Universal Music written by Michael Caruso/Jeff Paris (Released 1986; Re-Released 2012)
- "I'll Be There(Holdin On)" from Jack Wagner's "Lighting Up the Night" was released on Qwest Records (produced by Glenn Ballard); (It was performed by Wagner on the Soap Opera, General Hospital) written by Jeff Paris/Michael Caruso (Released: 1986); "Holdin' On" was also included on The Dells Album "One Step Closer" released in United States by Private Records and in Japan by Sony Records (1984). The Album was Re-Released in Europe by Columbia (1994).
- "Love Made Me" was recorded by Vixen on their Self Titled Album "Vixen" for EMI/Manhattan Records; written by Michael Caruso, John Keller, Marcella Detroit (Released: 1988)
- "Long Live The Night" was recorded by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts for the Days of Thunder (soundtrack) and was released in the US by Geffen Records and Internationally by Epic Records; written by Michael Caruso, Joan Jett, Randy Cantor (Released: 1990)
- "Guns of Love" by Maura O'Connell from her Album,"A Real Life Story", for Warner Bros. Records; written by Michael Caruso, Randy Sharp and John Keller (Released: 1991)
- "What Do You Know About Love" on Lita Ford's Dangerous Curves (where Caruso also performed background vocals) was released on RCA Records; written by Michael Caruso, Randy Cantor and Cal Curtis (Released: 1991)
- "Desire Me" and "Diane" were both on Terri Nunn's Moment of Truth album on DGC, Mercury, both cuts written by Terri Nunn, Michael Caruso, John Keller (Released: 1991)
- "None of It Matters" by Black Eyed Susan was on their Release "Electric Rattlebone" for Mercury Records, written by Michael Caruso, Randy Cantor and Cal Curtis (Released: 1991)
- "Love Is" recorded by Vanessa Williams and Brian McKnight for Giant Records and featured on the Beverly Hills 90210 Soundtrack written by Michael Caruso, John Keller and Tonio K (Released: 1992)
- "Get Off My Lawn" was recorded by John Melendez from his LP "Stuttering John" for One Way Records; written by Caruso/Cantor/Melendez (Released: 1994)
- "Guns of Love" by the Moffatts on their Album "The Moffats" for Polydor Records, Nashville; written by Caruso/Sharp/Keller (Released: 1995)
- "Tied To The Bells"(Caruso/Cantor/Tuff) and "Don't Complain" (Caruso/Tuff) were included on Tuff's CD, "Decade Of Disrespect", for RLS Records (Released 1996)
- "Anyone But Me" Recorded by Jeff Paris for his EP "Life of My Broken Heart" for USG Records written by Michael Caruso/Jeff Paris (Recorded: 1997)
- "Better Way To Die" from John Purdell's "Hindsight" Album for Jackal Entertainment written by Michael Caruso/John Purdell/Paul Schwartz with Caruso on background vocals (Released 1998)
- "Runaway Love" was recorded by Chris LeDoux for his "One Road Man" Album on Capitol Records- Nashville; and by Rita Coolidge for her "Thinkin' About You" Release for Innerworks Records International written by Michael Caruso,Dennis Matkosky & Tamara Champlin (Released: 1998)
- "Shoo-Rah" & "I'm Not Your Lover" were included on Rita Coolige's "Thinkin' About You", again, compositions by Caruso/Champlin/Matkosky (Released: 1998) and "Shoo-Rah" has since been recorded by Caruso himself on For Tessa Records (Released August 13, 2013)
- "Don't Get Me Dreamin' " was written by Michael Caruso, Tamara Champlin, Blaise Tosti for Stampede's Album "Amame" on Sony Records (Released: 2000)
- "Guns of Love" by Kathy Mattea was featured on her Album "Roses" for Narada Records written by Caruso/Sharp/Keller (Released: 2002)
- "Louisiana Wind" was recorded by Michael LeCompt  for his EP Release "Can't Let It Go" on Quarry Records written by Michael Caruso, Dennis Matkosky, Tamara Champlin & Michael LeCompt (Released 2002)
- "Second Sight" was recorded by Chris Emerson for his Album "Tourist" for Monomoy Records written by Michael Caruso, Blaise Tosti, Stacy Widelitz (Released: 2003)
- "Corazon Roto" was recorded by Rogelio Martinez for his CD "Amandote Otra Vez" for Fonovisa Records; written by Michael Caruso/Richie Supa/Randy Cantor (Released: 2003)
- "Pretty Ugly" and "Pretty When She Cries(Blue 22)" recorded by the Band A Perfect Day, were on the album "All Over Everything" released in Canada on Isba Records(a Division of BMG Music) written by Michael Caruso, Tamara Champlin, Janele Woodley and Joseph Hrechka (Released: 2004)
- "Guns of Love" was recorded by Pam Rose for her Album " Morpheus" on Grace Records written By Caruso/Sharp/Keller (Released: 2004)
- "Just Like You" and "Why Don't You Leave", 2 Caruso/LeCompt Collaborations were featured on Michael LeCompt's "Unplugged" CD (Released 2004)
- "I'm Not Your Lover" was recorded by The Sons of Champlin on their CD "Hip Lil Dreams" for Dig Music; written by Michael Caruso, Tamara Champlin, Dennis Matkosky (Released: 2005)
- "No Place Left To Fall", title track of Bill Champlin's latest solo CD for Dream Makers Music, was written by Michael Caruso, Bill Champlin and Tamara Champlin. A second track, "Tuggin' on Your Sleeve" was written by Michael Caruso, Bill Champlin and Will Champlin (Released: 2008)
- "Pretty When She Cries" was recorded by  for her CD "Living My Life Out Loud" on Reform Records written by Michael Caruso and Tamara Champlin (Released 2008)
- "What's on My Mind" was recorded by Bekka Bramlett for her CD Release "I Got News For You" on Shongaloo Records; written by Michael Caruso, Tamara Champlin, Dennis Matkosky (Released: 2009)
- "When the Devil Starts To Pray", featured tracks written and performed by Michael Caruso: title track (co written with Randy Sharp), "Claudia Jolie" (co written with Blaise Tosti); "Madelyn" (co written with Glenn Goss); "For Tessa" (co written with Trey Bruce); "Guns of Love" (co written with Randy Sharp and John Keller); "Solomon" (co written with Tamara Champlin, Dennis Matkosky, Blaise Tosti); "Tell Me What You Will" (co written with Glenn Goss and TJ McFarland); "For Tessa" (choir featuring Jeff Paris and Moon Calhoun); co-produced with Roy Braverman on For Tessa Records (Released 2011)
- "Rainin' Sunshine" was recorded Live with Bill Champlin, Tamara Champlin, Will Champlin and Santa Fe and the Fat City Horns DVD "Live from Las Vegas" on Strokeland Records; written by Michael Caruso, Tamara Champlin, Will Champlin (Released 2012)
- "You Won't Get To Heaven Alive" was performed by Tamara Champlin on Peter Friestedt, Bill Champlin, Joseph Williams, Live DVD from Vivid Sounds Productions (Japan Release 2013)
- "True Love's Tears" a Michael Caruso, Randy Sharp Composition was recorded by Michael Caruso on For Tessa Records (Released 2014)
- "Good When You're Gone" written by Michael Caruso, Jeff Paris & Andy Kravitz was released by Michael Caruso on For Tessa Records (2015) and added to WMEX as the theme song for Rob Saul's weekend show  as well as Saul's Weekly Ripped Radio Show.
- "Swept Away" (Michael Caruso, Tamara Champlin & Tom Saviano) from Nebraska Falls Release "The Real Story" (Nebraska Falls Music - 2015)
- "Dreamin' Of Chagall" written by Tamara Champlin, Michael Caruso, Bill Champlin (Released by Tamara Champlin on Champlinx2 Records - 2015)
- "What A Day" written by Michael Caruso & Rick Rydell Recorded by Michael Caruso on For Tessa Records (Released 2016)
- "Guns of Love" written by Michael Caruso, Randy Sharp, John Keller; Recorded by Randy Sharp on his Release "Impossible Things" for With Any Luck Records (Released 2017)
- "Another Mile" written by Michael Caruso & Randy Sharp; Recorded by Michael Caruso on For Tessa Records (Released 2017)
- Michael Caruso Music Official Website
- Tamara Champlin Official Website
- Michael Caruso – Songs on BMI/ASCAP Data Base
- Michael Caruso song writer – "CAA & Crysalis Solidifying Ties" from Billboard June 5, 1999
- Michael Caruso co-writer "Long Live The Night"
- All Music Credits "Days Of Thunder"
- Michael Caruso co-writer "What's On My Mind"
- Bravermania Saving the World By Sound
- Michael Caruso co-write "Love Is" BMI Press Release
- Michael Caruso co-writer "Guns of Love"
- Michael Caruso co-writer of "No Place Left to Fall" and "Tuggin' on your Sleeve"
- Michael Caruso co-write "Runaway Love"
- Michael Caruso co-write "I'm Not your Lover"
- Michael Caruso co-write "I'll Be There"
- Michael Caruso Named In Music Connection Magazine Nov 2009 Top 100 unsigned artists
- "For Tessa" – Night Views Radio & Michael Caruso Raise Awareness for Suicide Prevention
- Robert Saul Official Website
- ‘Love Is’ More Than 2 Million Strong | News | BMI.com
- Shoo Rah
- Randy Sharp
- Roses – Kathy Mattea : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic
- You Won't Get to Heaven Alive – Tamara Champlin : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic
- "Nicky Hopkins Sessions". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Bill Champlin Official Website
- Randy Cantor – Credits : AllMusic
- Bekka Bramlett (7/24/09) : MusicRow – Nashville's Music Industry Publication – News, Songs From Music City
- Living My Life Out Loud : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic
- "Michael Caruso Music". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Jeff Paris – Music Biography, Credits and Discography : AllMusic
- Dennis Matkosky – Credits : AllMusic
- Sunshine Deprivation Blues
- Lecompt – Rock On!
- Tuff (band)#Tuff Albums
- Hindsight – John Purdell : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic
- "One Road Man". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Amame". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Michael LeCompt". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Morpheus". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Lori Michaels". Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Rob Saul on WMEX, Boston - 1510". Retrieved 25 July 2015.