|Birth name||Michael Dwight Catherwood|
March 15, 1979 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Spouse(s)||Bianca Kajlich (2012–present)|
Michael Dwight Catherwood (born March 15, 1979), known by his radio name Psycho Mike, is an American radio personality. He is known primarily for his work at KROQ-FM on Kevin and Bean and most recently as the co-host of Loveline.
Catherwood was born in Los Angeles to an Irish-American father (Dwight) and Mexican-American mother (Rachel). He grew up near San Marino, California and had one sibling, a sister (Tracy). His teenage years were the start of his problems with substance abuse, as he began drinking at an early age. He attended San Marino High School.
When he was older, he traveled across the US to New Jersey where he attended Rutgers University but was unable to complete his first year due to his problems with substance abuse, including crack cocaine, LSD, ecstasy, methamphetamine and alcohol, as well as abuse of anabolic steroids. He initially sought treatment in Minnesota at the Hazelden Foundation, but was unable to complete the program. He later moved back to LA to start a career in music with a heavy metal band, but his drug use continued to be a problem. Eventually he went for treatment at Las Encinas Hospital in Pasadena where he met with greater success. During this time in his recovery, he started a career in radio and personal training. He has been sober from drugs and alcohol since 2002. He describes himself as a Catholic, having been raised in that faith, and attends Mass in Santa Monica. However, he openly admits he does not adhere to or agree with many of the Church's official stances, particularly those related to sexuality and sexual orientation.
Kevin & Bean Show
Catherwood was the assistant producer for the Kevin and Bean show, and frequently stars in man-on-the-street segments as well as parodies of most commercial songs which generally involve crude themes. Catherwood is also an amateur body builder and a certified personal trainer and has appeared in several segments educating listeners about exercise and nutrition.
He is known for performing many vocal impersonations, including Gene Simmons, Kevin Federline, Spencer Pratt, Manny Ramirez, Lamar Odom, Antonio Villaraigosa, Tom DeLonge, Adam Carolla, and Anthony Kiedis, as well as a character of his own invention named "Rudy," a stereotypical heavy-accented cholo ex-con with a penchant for marijuana and manscaping. Another character he made up was "Sven," a Nordic Viking of the disco.
In June 2007, he created a KROQ sensation, a parody of the Plain White T's song "Hey There Delilah" called "Hey There Vagina." The song was the most requested song on the station for a week until station lawyers quashed it, claiming it was "indecent." The station also pulled its own link to the song.
On March 21, 2010, he was permanently hired as the co-host of the national call-in radio show Loveline, with physician host Dr. Drew Pinsky. Catherwood frequently draws on his own past experience as a drug addict to educate and confront callers on the subject of substance abuse. On January 5, 2015, Catherwood and Pinsky launched a new program, "Dr. Drew Midday Live with Mike Catherwood" on KABC in Los Angeles.
Live with Regis and Kelly
- On January 28, 2011, Mike co-hosted with Kelly Ripa. Viewers voted Mike in as a fill-in for Regis Philbin.
Dancing With The Stars
- On February 28, 2011, during a segment of The Bachelor, Dancing With The Stars announced its upcoming contestants, and Catherwood was introduced to join the cast debuting on March 21, 2011. He was partnered with professional dancer Lacey Schwimmer. Catherwood admitted while he is an athlete, he had no dance experience and no "grace". His Loveline cohost, Dr. Drew, was highly supportive of his competition, appearing each night in the audience with his wife and children, and making appeals for fans of the show to vote. At one point, Pinsky facetiously said he would run across the stage and forearm-tackle Len Goodman (in a manner similar to Shawne "Lights Out" Merriman) if he gave Catherwood a bad score.
On March 29, 2011 he became the first contestant of the 12th season to be eliminated, followed by talk show host Wendy Williams.
The Bad Girls Club (Season 6)
- Catherwood appeared on Episode 7 of Season 6 where the girls appeared as guests on the radio show, "Loveline."
American Chopper Live "The Build Off"
- Catherwood appeared as the host for American Chopper Live "The Build Off" " A live Bike building competition with Paul Teutul Jr. Paul Teutul, Sr. and Jesse James. The show aired on December 6, 2011, on The Discovery Channel
- In late 2014, Catherwood was named host of GSN's 2015 revival of the game show Chain Reaction (game show).
|2014–present||Undateable||Mike||Guest appearance (Season 2, episode 6,7)|
- "Radio Ink Magazine". Radioink.com. 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Vanderberg, Marcus (February 29, 2012). "SO WHAT DO YOU DO, MIKE CATHERWOOD, HOST OF LOVELINE?". Mediabistro. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Mike Catherwood Biography". InBaseline. 1979-03-15. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Psycho Mike". TMZ.com. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Vagina Travesty - Radio Lawyers Censor Song". TMZ.com. 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "iheartkiiki". Iheartkiiki.blogspot.com. 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Loveline, 2010-08-02
- "Mike Catherwood to Co-Host Syndicated Radio Show with Dr. Drew Pinsky". Retrieved April 26, 2010.
- Loveline Show Website, lovelineshow.com; accessed December 27, 2014.
- KABC website; accessed December 27, 2014.
- "Who Is Mike Catherwood And Why Is He Dancing With The Stars?". Retrieved March 2, 2011.
- "Week 1, Part 2 Full Episode -Dancing With The Stars". Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "Week 2, Part 2 Full Episode -Dancing With The Stars". Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "Loveline". Westwood One. March 24, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "The Bad Girls Club (season 6) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "And the Chopper Live Host it...". dsc.discovery.com. 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- Hibberd, James (May 8, 2012). "Fox's 'The Choice' cast revealed! Joe Jonas, Dean Cain, The Situation, many more -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Eva Amurri Martino's Co-Star Suspected Pregnancy With 'Sixth Sense'". hollywood.com. July 1, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
|Host of Chain Reaction
|Co-host of Loveline