Michael Chaplin (actor)
Michael John Chaplin|
March 7, 1946
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Royal Academy of Dramatic Art|
|Occupation||Actor, writer, producer|
Patrice Chaplin (div.) |
|Children||6, including Carmen Chaplin|
|Relatives||See Chaplin family|
Michael John Chaplin (born March 7, 1946) is an American actor born in Santa Monica, California. He is the second child and eldest son from Charlie Chaplin's fourth and final marriage, to Oona O'Neill.
He was married firstly to the writer Patrice Chaplin, with whom he has two sons. He married secondly Patricia Betaudier, a painter and the daughter of Trinidian painter Patrick Betaudier. He has four children with his second wife, including actresses Carmen Chaplin and Dolores Chaplin.
In the mid-1960s Chaplin signed a book contract with British publisher Leslie Frewin to publish his autobiography I Couldn't Smoke The Grass On My Father's Lawn, which was ghostwritten with Tom Merrin and Charles Hamblett. This was a teenage hippie-memoir of drugs and rebellion against a world-famous father. Prior to the book's release Chaplin filed an injunction against the book prior to its publication in the hopes of keeping it from releasing, arguing that the work would have a detrimental effect on himself and his family. This injunction was ultimately set aside by judges for the Court of Appeal, who argued that Chaplin's contract was binding because he stood to gain from the work's publication, as it launched his writing career.
Chaplin is also the author of a novel The Fallen God, a modern version of the story of Tristan and Isolt.
- Limelight (1952) as Child in Opening Scene (uncredited)
- A King in New York (1957) as Rupert Macabee
- Promise Her Anything (1965) as Heathcliff - Beatnik (uncredited)
- The Sandwich Man (1966) as Pavement Artist
- The Innovators (2014) as the Voice of the Minister (short film)
- Lewis, Anthony (1 Oct 1965). "Reluctant Autobiographer". ProQuest. New York Times (subscription required). Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "I COULDN'T SMOKE THE GRASS ON MY FATHER'S LAWN by Michael Chaplin (review)". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- Persadie, Natalie; Ramlogan, Rajendra (2015). Commonwealth Caribbean Business Law (Third ed.). Routledge. pp. 154–155. ISBN 1138024260. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Beatson, Jack; Burrows, Andrew (2010). Anson's Law of Contract. Oxford University Press. p. 237. ISBN 9780199593330. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|