Logo of Michael Cinco fashion firm
August 27, 1971 |
Catbalogan City, Samar, Philippines
|Residence||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Education||Central Saint Martins|
Early life and education
Cinco was born on August 27, 1971 in the island of Samar in the southern Philippines. His provincial upbringing made him fantasize the glamour of dressing up Marlene Dietrich, Grace Kelly, Joan Crawford and Audrey Hepburn, later saying "I pictured those fabulous heroines and imagined dressing them up in my creations. I chased after those visions...”
Cinco studied Fine Arts at the prestigious University of the Philippines Diliman for two years eventually transferring at Slims Fashion and Arts School in Manila. He then took up supplementary courses at Central Saint Martins in London.
In 1997, Cinco moved to Dubai, eventually establishing his fashion line in 2003. “Moving to the Middle East was a big leap for me, the region is a haven of haute couture,” he recalls. “In my first job in Dubai, I reinvented the image of a slightly staid fashion house, and succeeded in injecting new fashion nuances. Now, it’s great to know that the elite fashionistas of Dubai eventually recognized my passion for fashion.”
In 2002, Michael went to Paris and then London where he trained at Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design. The next year, he returned to Dubai and established his eponymous label, Michael Cinco.
Cinco state, “A Michael Cinco woman is moneyed. She may not be born into royalty but she better be married into one. My clothes appear seamless. They look heavy and yet they float. They look expensive simply because they are”.
The designer regularly finds inspiration in architectural features. For his 2017 Haute Couture collection, he dedicated his Fall/Winter 2017 couture collection to the Palace of Versailles, referencing its baroque panelling and intricately painted ceilings.
Cinco’s clients include international celebrities like Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Carrie Underwood, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Ellie Goulding, Nicole Scherzinger, Fergie Ferguson, Dita Von Teese, Brandy Norwood, Ashanti, Chris Brown, Tyra Banks and Naomi Campbell, among others.
Sofia Vergara wore a black Michael Cinco gown at the Golden Globes 2013, where she was voted Best Dressed by several television shows and magazines in the US. The same year British pop star Paloma Faith wore his couture dress at the Met Gala in New York.
Cinco designed the wedding gown of Austrian singer and Swarovski empire heiress Victoria Swarovski when she wed Werner Murz in June 2017 in Italy. The gown valued at over US$1 million and weighing 46 kilograms has an eight meter long train adorned by 500,000 of Swarovski's family-owned crystals. The bride also wore another Cinco creation, in red, at the wedding party.
- Michael was chosen by Asian Couture Federation to be one of the elite members of the best designers in Asia headed by Kenzo Tanaka and ACF President Dr. Frank Cintamani.
- In 2014 Michael was conferred with Presidential Award for Outstanding Filipinos Overseas by President Benigno Aquino Jr. for his exemplification of the talent and industry which the Philippines has to offer to the world.
- Michael appeared in US hit reality show America's Next Top Model cycle 16 and cycle 17 finale hosted by Tyra Banks. He was also chosen as guest designer and guest judge in the new reality show Asia's Next Top Model cycle 1, in Singapore, and was highly endorsed by Banks. He was also featured as a designer and a judge in China's Next Top Model cycle 5.
- In November, 2011, he won the Breakthrough Designer award from the WGSN Global Fashion Awards held in Gotham Hall, New York, against top contenders. Michael won Best Designer award in Grazia’s Style Awards 2016. Michael had won the People’s Choice Award at Dubai Fashion Week 2010. He was chosen as one of the top movers in Dubai in the Ahlan Hot 100 in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2016.
- Michael just recently debuted his Autumn-Winter Collection 2016 at the Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week. He wowed audiences at Dubai Fashion Week, Miami Fashion Week, LA Fashion Week, Singapore Fashion Week, Australia Fashion Week, Philippine Fashion Week and did shows in New York and London.
- Michael Cinco launched his first, ever perfume called, IMPALPABLE, in 2012. In 2015, he launched his first ever limited edition underwear collection for international brand BENCH.
- "Michael Cinco: From Samar to Dubai to Hollywood". Golden Globes.
- "Michael Cinco shares biggest lesson in fashion". ABS-CBN.
- "Slim's unveils the future of Philippine fashion". Philippine Inquirer.
- "Fashion: Michael Cinco A/W 2017 Collection". Debut Magazine.
- Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop (April 2017) Michael Cinco Dreams of Versailles for his Fall 2017 Couture Collection, Couturenotebook.com
- "Jennifer Lopez performs in stunning Michael Cinco gown | ABS-CBN News". News.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Caole, Alixandra (2016-07-18). "JLo wears stunning Michael Cinco couture with 20-ft cape | Fashion and Beauty, Lifestyle Features, The Philippine Star". philstar.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- May 7, 2013 (2013-05-07). "Paloma Faith In Michael Cinco - 2013 Met Gala". Red Carpet Fashion Awards. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Michael Cinco Creates Dresses For Hollywood". Emirates Woman.
- "Focus on the Philippines: Dubai-based Michael Cinco dresses Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe | The National". Thenational.ae. 2017-02-02. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's stylist talks about that giant Michael Cinco gown". Vogue.in. 2017-05-22. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Harding, Natasha. "Victoria Swarovski And Werner Murz's Wedding Pictures | Harper's BAZAAR". Harpersbazaar.com.au. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Jun 21, 2017 (2017-06-05). "Victoria Swarovski Weds In Michael Cinco Gown". Harpersbazaararabia.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.