Michael D. Jones
|Michael D. Jones|
|Born||Michael Daniel Jones
2 March 1822
Llanuwchllyn, Meirionydd, Wales
|Died||2 December 1898
Bala, Meirionydd, Wales
|Occupation||Welsh Congregationalist minister, principal of a theological college, founder of the Welsh settlement in Patagonia known as Y Wladfa, one of the fathers of modern Welsh nationalism. Poet and writer.|
|Spouse||Anne Lloyd (m. 1859–1898, his death)|
|Children||Llwyd Ap Iwan (1862–1909)
Mihangel Ap Iwan
Michael Daniel Jones (2 March 1822 – 2 December 1898) was a Welsh Congregationalist minister and principal of a theological college, but is best remembered as a founder of the Welsh settlement in Patagonia known as Y Wladfa and as one of the fathers of modern Welsh nationalism.
Jones was born in Llanuwchllyn, Merioneth (Gwynedd) in 1822. After training for the ministry in Carmarthen and London, he emigrated to America and was ordained at Cincinnati. He returned to Wales and followed his father as the principal of Bala Congregational College.
His name is closely linked with the attempt to establish a Welsh settlement in Patagonia, Argentina, in the 1860s where Welsh would be the language of religion, government, trade, and education. The 150th anniversary (July 28, 1865) of this Welsh-Argentine settlement in Rawson, Chubut Argentina is noted here: http://www.festrail.co.uk/content/publish/news/459.shtml
Jones is recognised as the first to advocate a political solution to defending Welsh identity and therefore is seen as one of the most significant forerunners of Welsh nationalism.
- "Merioneth County Council Elections". Cambrian News. 25 January 1889. p. 8. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- See also the collections of essays on his life and work, Michael D. Jones a'i Wladfa Gymreig, ed. E. Wyn James and Bill Jones (Llanrwst: Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, 2009).
- Dafydd Tudur, 'The Life, Thought and Work of Michael Daniel Jones (1822-1898)', University of Wales, Bangor, PhD thesis, 2006.
- E. Wyn James, ‘Michael D. Jones and His Visit to Patagonia in 1882’, in Los Galeses en la Patagonia V, ed. Fernando Coronato & Marcelo Gavirati (Puerto Madryn, Chubut, Argentina: Asociación Punta Cuevas, Asociación Cultural Galesa de Puerto Madryn & Centro de Estudios Históricos y Sociales de Puerto Madryn, 2012. ISBN 978-987-24577-3-0. In English and in Spanish.
- Project-Hiraeth – Documents the stories of the Welsh colony in Patagonia, Argentina through film, text and illustration.
- Michael D. Jones on the Glaniad website
- Michael Jones on Ceredigion County Council website