Michael Dante DiMartino
DiMartino at the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con International
|Born||Michael Dante DiMartino|
July 18, 1974
Shelburne, Vermont, U.S.
|Occupation||animation director, author|
|Known for||Co-creator of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra|
Michael Dante DiMartino (born July 18, 1974) is an American animation director, author and best known as the co-creator, executive producer, and story editor of the animated TV series Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, both on Nickelodeon.
Before Avatar, Mike worked for twelve years at Film Roman, helping to direct King of the Hill, Family Guy, and Mission Hill in addition to his own animated short, Atomic Love, which was screened at a number of high-profile film festivals. The dedication to his father's memory can be seen in the penultimate episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. In a 2010 interview the president of Nickelodeon, Cyma Zarghami, confirmed that DiMartino and Konietzko were developing a new series for the network, called The Legend of Korra. The series premiered on April 14, 2012, running 12 episodes for the first book "Air" and 14 for the second book "Spirits", which premiered on September 13, 2013 to 2.60 million viewers in the U.S., then the third book "Change" and the fourth and final book "Balance" of 13 episodes each.
On October 4, 2016, Michael Dante DiMartino released a new original novel, Rebel Genius. The story features a 12-year-old protagonist, Giacomo, who discovers he has a magical 'Genius,' the living embodiment of an artist's creative spirit, in a world where artistic expression is outlawed.
In September 2018, it was announced that Konietzko and DiMartino would serve as executive producers and showrunners for Netflix's upcoming live-action adaptation series of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
He is a father of twins since end of July 2016.
- Huff, Richard (March 12, 2010). "Testing Soap-y waters: Nickelodeon to use 'Degrassi: The Next Generation' to try out telenovelas". Daily News. New York. Retrieved June 27, 2010.
- Rebel Genius
- DiMartino, Michael (April 29, 2012). "Heart of Art: Career of animator for 'Last Airbender' and 'Legend of Korra' was nurtured in Vermont". The Burlington Free Press. Archived from the original on January 18, 2013. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- Michael Dante DiMartino on IMDb
- Interview with Mike and Bryan at AvatarSpirit.Net
- Official Blog
- Official Tumblr
- Rebel Genius on Fierce Reads
|This article about an American film producer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|