|Born||March 19, 1975
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Education||Florida Atlantic University, Akademie der Bildenden Künste München, Ohio University|
|Known for||New Media Art, Postinternet Art|
|Notable work||Color Field Paintings (Browser), The Ghost of Vannevar Bush Hacked My Server, The Sky is Falling (A Day in the Life)|
Michael Demers (born 1975) is a new media artist and educator. His work "incorporates culture and cultural identity in a synthesis of critical investigation and his own adolescent preoccupation with toys and other weird ephemera." He has taught college-level digital art and new media courses since 2007.
Michael Demers was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He attended Florida Atlantic University, where he earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Printmaking. Afterward he attended the Akademie der Bildenden Künste München in Munich, Germany where he studied under the printmaker Gerd Winner and earned his Staatliche Hochschule für Bildende Künste Diplom. He later attended Ohio University in Athens, Ohio where he studied under the New York based painter Guy Goodwin and earned a Master of Fine Arts degree. Between 2007 and 2010 he taught Digital Art and New Media courses at College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. Since 2010 he has taught Fine and Digital Art as an Associate Professor at Asnuntuck Community College in Connecticut, where he is the Program Coordinator for Fine, Performing and Digital Arts.
Michael Demers is best known for his web-based Color Field Paintings (Browser) (2009), in which a website visitor generates a series of browser windows, each with a randomly assigned color based upon parameters established for each piece; The Sky Is Falling: A Day in the Life (2010), which incorporates captured PlayStation 3 video from "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion," edited to reflect the seamless passing of game time and real time; and The Ghost of Vannevar Bush Hacked My Server (2009), which displays a randomly appearing binary code portrait of the famous computer pioneer.
His work has been accepted into the Rhizome at the New Museum (New York, NY) Curated ArtBase, an archive of digital art selected for inclusion by the museum curatorial staff and the White Columns (New York, NY) Curated Artist Registry, a highly selective database of artists selected by the White Columns curatorial staff.
- Color Field Paintings (Browser) Interactive randomly generated digital paintings. Exhibited at HTML Color Codes curated exhibition, Rhizome at the New Museum, New York, NY; Zeros + Ones: The Digital Era exhibition, Climate Gallery, Long Island City, NY (Featured Artist Selection); Arteria "Internet Livre" invitational exhibition, SESC Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil. Part of the Rhizome Curated ArtBase.
- The Ghost of Vannevar Bush Hacked My Server Captured binary essence of Vannevar Bush. Exhibited at Zeroes + Ones: The Digital Era exhibition, Climate Gallery, Long Island City, NY; PixelPops!2013 juried exhibition, Isaac Delgado Fine Arts Gallery, New Orleans, LA; Appropriation Art 2 juried exhibition, Zagreb AKC Medika, Zagreb, Croatia; Sight.Sound [Interaction] 6 invitational exhibition, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD; Binaries juried exhibition, Idea Lab, Athens, GA. Part of the Rhizome Curated ArtBase.
- The Sky is Falling (A Day in the Life...) Captured footage displayed in real time. Exhibited at post_space solo exhibition, Conant Gallery, Groton, MA; Future Learning Spaces, DOEL, Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland.
- Variations Upon A Theme. Archival inkjet prints. Exhibited at Dual Action invitational print exhibition, Jewett Art Gallery, Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA; Arches Print Show, 808 Gallery, Boston University, Boston, MA; Remix juried exhibition, Arlington Arts Center, Arlington, VA
- Date Paintings (Twitter) Temporal artworks found in Twitter time stamps. Part of the Rhizome Curated ArtBase.
- Burrough, Xtine. NetWorks: Case Studies in Web Art and Design. (New York, NY: Routledge Press, 2011), xv.
- Kelly, Owen and Stefan, Sonvilla-Weiss. Future Learning Spaces: Conference Proceedings. (Finland: Aalto Press, 2012), 327.
- Zent, Angel Bedinghaus. "School News," The Palm Beach Post. April 18, 1998, 10D.
- Author needed. "Die Macht der Schrift,"Augsburger Allgemeine. July 22, 1999, page needed.
- Athens News Staff. "Show Examining Demise of Cheshire Open to Public This Week," Athens News. July 6, 2004, page needed.
- College of the Holy Cross August 21, 2007. Accessed April 24, 2013.
- "Faculty Profile at Asnuntuck Community College Website". Asnuntuck.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- Burrough, Xtine. NetWorks: Case Studies in Web Art and Design. (New York, NY: Routledge Press, 2011), 7-15.
- Burrough, Xtine. Foundations of Digital Art and Design. (San Francisco, CA: New Riders Press, 2013), 287-289.
- Kelly, Owen and Stefan, Sonvilla-Weiss. Future Learning Spaces: Conference Proceedings. (Finland: Aalto Press, 2012), 322-325.
- Shanken, Edward. Art and Electronic Media. (Phaidon, 2009) Online companion accessed April 24, 2013.
- Michael Demers. "Michael Demers". Rhizome. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "White Columns - Artist Registry". Registry.whitecolumns.org. 2012-09-13. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- HTML Color Codes Accessed April 24, 2013
- Rhizome Curated ArtBase Accessed April 24, 2013.
- Appropriation Art 2 Accessed April 24, 2013
- Sight.Sound [Interaction] 6 Accessed April 24, 2013
- Rhizome Curated ArtBase. Accessed April 24, 2013.
- Rhizome Curated ArtBase Accessed April 24, 2013.