October 28, 1974 |
Columbus, Ohio, United States
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
Michael Dougherty is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter, known for his work with Dan Harris on the scripts for Bryan Singer's films X2 and Superman Returns. He's also known for writing and directing the cult horror film Trick 'r Treat. On October 28, 2013 at a special screening, it was announced to the surprise of the audience that a sequel will be produced by Legendary Pictures. He also directed, co-wrote, and co-produced the horror/comedy Krampus (2015).
Dougherty was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio and attended the Tisch School of Arts at New York University in the Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and Television, which is where he produced Season's Greetings (1996). His mother is Vietnamese.
His directorial debut, Trick 'r Treat, is based on his own script, and was produced by Bryan Singer. It played at several film festivals, before being released on DVD on October 6, 2009 in the US and Canada. In December 2014, he began work on his horror film Krampus, which was released in December 2015. and will co-write with Singer, Dan Harris and Simon Kinberg the script for the next X-Men film entitled Apocalypse with Singer once again as director, which is set a 2016 release.
Dougherty is an artist and some of his artwork is displayed on his official website.
|2005||Urban Legends: Bloody Mary||Yes|
|2007||Trick 'r Treat||Yes||Yes||Yes||executive producer|
|2010||Making Friends||Yes||Yes||Yes||executive producer|
- 2009 - Won Toronto After Dark Silver Audience Award for "Trick 'r Treat"
- 2008 - Won Screamfest Audience Choice Award for "Trick 'r Treat"
- 2007 - Won Saturn Award for Best Writing for Superman Returns (shared with Dan Harris)
- 2004 - Nominated for Saturn Award for Best Writing for X2 (shared with Dan Harris)
- 2003 - Won Screamfest Best Animated Short for "Deadtime Stories"
Director Bryan Singer and Superman Returns screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris provided the plots to four comic book prequels to Superman Returns. The four forty-page comic book prequels were published by DC Comics throughout the month of June 2006 and bridged the gap between the second Superman film and Superman Returns.
- Superman Returns: Krypton to Earth - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: In the first of the four prequels, fans will revisit the Man of Steel’s origins and witness how the world has been transformed in Superman’s absence.
- Superman Returns: Ma Kent - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: The second special conceived by Bryan Singer and illustrated by Karl Kerschl spotlights the life of the woman who raised the Man of Tomorrow—and explores how she survived a world without Superman.
- Superman Returns: Lex Luthor - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: Lex Luthor always dreamed of a world without a Superman. How will Superman’s arch-nemesis react when he finally gets what he’s wanted for so many years?
- Superman Returns: Lois Lane - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: Lois Lane has loved... and lost... the Man of Steel. How will this intrepid reporter rebound from Superman’s absence?
- "The New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "Trick 'r Treat 2 Announced".
- TRICK 'R TREATing with Michael Dougherty Archived October 28, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Michael Dougherty talks ''Trick 'r Treat'' at FEARnet". Fearnet.com. 2015-01-05. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- Stax (2003-04-16). "''10 Questions: Mike Dougherty & Dan Harris''". Movies.ign.com. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- Barton, Steve (2014-12-19). "Mike Dougherty and Legendary Spread Some Christmas Fear". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- Lesnick, Silas (September 22, 2014). "Bryan Singer Confirmed to Direct X-Men: Apocalypse". Retrieved September 23, 2014.