Michael Fitzpatrick (Kildare politician)
May 2007 – February 2011
12 October 1942|
Cootehill, Cavan, Ireland
|Died||14 October 2011
Allenwood, Kildare, Ireland
|Political party||Fianna Fáil|
Michael Fitzpatrick (12 October 1942 – 14 October 2011) was an Irish Fianna Fáil politician. He was elected as Teachta Dála (TD) for the Kildare North constituency at the 2007 general election, and served until 2011.
He was a member of Kildare County Council for the Clane electoral area from 1999 to 2007. He was a member of the Garda Síochána from 1961 to 1972. He was the constituency manager in Kildare for former Minister for Finance and European Commissioner Charlie McCreevy from 1992 to 2007. He also was a Kildare mayor.
Fitzpatrick said he had “compared notes” with Brian Lenihan. “We are both on a journey. We talk and chat to one another about our illnesses”. He gave a presentation on his condition to the Irish Motor Neurone Research Foundation.
He lost his seat at the February 2011 general election and died that October. Fianna Fáil cancelled its Wolfe Tone commemoration at Bodenstown, County Kildare as a mark of respect. His funeral was in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Allenwood, County Kildare.
- "Michael Fitzpatrick". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 17 April 2009.
- "Mr. Michael Fitzpatrick". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 17 April 2009.
- "FF TD intends to stay in Dáil despite motor neurone diagnosis". The Irish Times. 12 March 2010. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- "Michael Fitzpatrick, RIP". Leinster Leader. 14 October 2011. Archived from the original on 1 April 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Minihan, Mary (15 October 2011). "Fianna Fáil pays tribute to late former TD Michael Fitzpatrick". The Irish Times. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "Death of former Fianna Fáil TD who went public with Motor Neurone diagnosis". Irish Independent. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Former Fianna Fáil TD Michael Fitzpatrick dies". RTÉ News. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Taylor, Charlie (14 October 2011). "Former TD Michael Fitzpatrick dies". The Irish Times. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Byrne, Luke (17 October 2011). "Fianna Fáil out in force for funeral of ex-TD Fitzpatrick". Irish Independent. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- McGreevy, Ronan (17 October 2011). "Fitzpatrick's life was 'an inspiration'". The Irish Times. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
Seat added to constituency
|Fianna Fáil Teachta Dála for Kildare North
|This article about a Fianna Fáil politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Teachta Dála (TD) — a member of Dáil Éireann — is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|