Michael Ford (gridiron football)
Ford at Bears training camp in 2014.
|Saskatchewan Rough Riders|
|Date of birth:||May 27, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Leesville, Louisiana|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||216 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Leesville (LA)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Michael Deshown Ford (born May 27, 1990) is an American football running back who currently plays for the Saskatchewan Rough Riders. Ford was signed by the Chicago Bears after going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft, and played college football at LSU. Ford was considered one of the better running back prospects of his class.
High school career
A native of Leesville, Louisiana, Ford was an All-American running back at Leesville High School. Regarded as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Ford was listed as the #7 running back prospect in the class of 2009.
In 2012, Ford ranked second in the Southeastern Conference in kickoff returns, averaging 27.5 yards on 20 returns, along with four kickoff returns of 40 yards or more; one of those returns was for 86 yards against Arkansas, which set up a touchdown. Ford concluded his college career with 37 appearances, and 5 games started, scoring 14 touchdowns (13 rushing and 1 receiving).
2013 NFL Draft
Ford put up impressive combine results measuring in at 5-9.5 210 pounds, running an unofficial 4.38 40 yard dash and bench pressing 225 pounds 25 times. He was ranked number one at his prospective position in the broad jump with a distance of 10 feet 10 inches, third in the vertical jump with a height of 39.5 inches, fourth in the 60 yard shuttle with a time of 11.43 seconds, and fifth in the 3-cone drill with a time of 6.87 seconds (Combine results from nfl.com). His bench press is listed as 7th best, however, 3 of the prospects he is ranked behind more than likely will be fullback candidates in the NFL not a true running back.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 9 in||185 lb||30 3⁄8 in||9 in||4.75 s||1.50 s||2.55 s||4.25 s||6.87 s||39 1⁄2 in||10 ft 10 in||25 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Ford signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on June 10, 2015.
Second stint with the Tiger-Cats
On September 27, 2015, Ford was added to the Tiger-Cats' non-active roster. He was added to the active roster on October 1, 2015.
- "NFL Draft - 2014 RB Draft Prospects". CBSSports.com. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Running backs 2009". Rivals.com. January 16, 2009.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-05-11). "Ford adds depth, competition to return game". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-08-14). "Ford could get expanded playing time". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- Mayer, Larry (April 28, 2013). "Bears add 10 undrafted free agents". Chicago Bears. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
- Bears begin cuts, release veteran safety Wilson
- "Michael Ford". ticats.ca. Retrieved July 13, 2015.[dead link]
- McClure, Vaughn (August 7, 2015). "With Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman ailing, Falcons sign a running back". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- Choate, Dave (August 30, 2015). "Falcons roster cuts: Atlanta trims down to 76 players, place Lamar Holmes on PUP". The Falcoholic. Retrieved October 9, 2015.