|Died||11 August 2007 (aged 67)|
Michael Frede (German: [ˈfʁeːdə]; 31 May 1940 – 11 August 2007) was a prominent scholar of ancient philosophy, described by The Telegraph as "one of the most important and adventurous scholars of ancient philosophy of recent times."
Education and career
He joined the faculty of the Philosophy Department at University of California, Berkeley as an Assistant Professor (1971) and quickly rose to the status of full Professor. From 1976 to 1991, he was a professor at the Princeton University Philosophy Department.
He returned to Europe in 1991 and took the Chair in the History of Philosophy at the University of Oxford. In 1997-8 he returned to Berkeley to lecture on free will as the 84th visiting Sather Professor of Classical Literature; the resulting book was published posthumously. He retired from Oxford in 2005 and lived in Athens, Greece until his death in a drowning accident in 2007.
He was a Member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences and a Fellow of both the British Academy (elected 1994) and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Pradikation und Existenzaussage: Platons Gebrauch von "...ist..." und "...ist nicht..." im Sophistes, 1967
- Die Stoische Logik, 1974
- Galen. Three Treatises on the Nature of Science (co-edited with Richard Walzer), 1985
- Essays in Ancient Philosophy, 1987
- Aristoteles 'Metaphysik Z': Text, Übersetzung und Kommentar, 2 vols (with Günther Patzig), 1988
- The Original Sceptics: A Controversy (co-edited with Myles Burnyeat), 1997
- Rationality in Greek Thought (co-edited with Gisela Striker), 1999
- Pagan Monotheism in Late Antiquity (co-edited with Polymnia Athanassiadi), 2001
- Aristotle's Metaphysics Book Lambda (co-edited with David Charles), 2001
- A Free Will: origins of the notion in ancient thought (edited by A. A. Long with a foreword by David Sedley), 2011
- The Pseudo-Platonic Seventh Letter (Uehiro Series in Practical Ethics), (co-author with Myles Burnyeat) Oxford University Press 2015
- "Professor Michael Frede". The Daily Telegraph. 15 October 2007. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- UC Berkeley - Department of Philosophy
- Princeton University Department of Philosophy - Home
- Faculty of Classics, University of Oxford
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 August 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2007. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)